collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 610
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Considers Permanent Driver Numbers.  (Read 13252 times)

vintly

Re: F1 Considers Permanent Driver Numbers.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 10:03:51 AM »
With all the problems that F1 is currently facing (teams on the verge of bankrupcy, the ring master under threat of prison due to fraud, single car dominance, tyres that fall apart after 10 laps, etc.) why on earth are they worrying about the numbers????
And I respect Vintly's opinion but next year half the driver line up will either be unknown or with new teams so we will all be guessing who is who!

Even if most teams bailed out, Bernie went to prison and it was decided that the world was indeed flat, individual driver numbers are a potential boost for the popularity of the sport, the spectator experience and the overall marketability. It's about the drivers. I don't see anyone 'worrying' about the numbers either - it's just an idea that's been mooted, a decent one in my view that doesn't interfere with anything else in the sport.

As for who's who, there were five rookies in 2013, there'll only be two or three in 2014 I think, so unknown drivers isn't a problem. Numbers for drivers will only serve to make them more recognisable anyway.

I struggle to find anything bad about this idea so will argue the case for it until I'm convinced otherwise. Also quite interested - if it does go ahead - to see who chooses what number and why. I've always had a thing about the number 19 myself….

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »
With all the problems that F1 is currently facing (teams on the verge of bankrupcy, the ring master under threat of prison due to fraud, single car dominance, tyres that fall apart after 10 laps, etc.) why on earth are they worrying about the numbers????
And I respect Vintly's opinion but next year half the driver line up will either be unknown or with new teams so we will all be guessing who is who!

Even if most teams bailed out, Bernie went to prison and it was decided that the world was indeed flat, individual driver numbers are a potential boost for the popularity of the sport, the spectator experience and the overall marketability. It's about the drivers. I don't see anyone 'worrying' about the numbers either - it's just an idea that's been mooted, a decent one in my view that doesn't interfere with anything else in the sport.

As for who's who, there were five rookies in 2013, there'll only be two or three in 2014 I think, so unknown drivers isn't a problem. Numbers for drivers will only serve to make them more recognisable anyway.

I struggle to find anything bad about this idea so will argue the case for it until I'm convinced otherwise. Also quite interested - if it does go ahead - to see who chooses what number and why. I've always had a thing about the number 19 myself….

:good: :good: :good:  33 piques my interest
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »
I rather like 69.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »
With the teams money problems soon there  may be so few teams that
keeping track of the drivers won't be all that hard
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »
Why restrict them to 2 digit numbers. I can think of some fine three digit numbers.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 01:56:25 PM »
I rather like 69.

We are talking about driver's number Ian, not your preferable positions ;)
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Ian

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
So was I BD, don't know what you're alluding to.  ::)
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Monty

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »
99 please stop ignoring the black flags........ sorry 66 you seem to have a problem!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »
99 please stop ignoring the black flags........ sorry 66 you seem to have a problem!

:DD

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »
I like the idea of individual numbers.

It IS like other sports, where there's a way to quickly identify who's who, and yet it's distinct from other sports where the DRIVER 'owns' the number, not the team.

It will make things easier for fans each season there's musical chairs.  It will make things easier for the commentators.  I don't blame them for getting everything wrong the first few races of the year, there's no way to tell who's in what car without resorting to memory.  But once you know that Kimi is 33, you know the 33 is Kimi.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 04:05:25 PM »
I'm not a fan of this idea.  The pre-1996 numbering system was very difficult to understand, and that revolved around teams generally keeping to certain traditional numbers for no clear reason.  The 1996 to present system is much better.  Just leave it as it is.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 04:34:56 PM »
What is there to understand?  Kimi = 33, Grossjean = 19, Alonso = 06...number simply indicates a drivers name, but just shorter to put on the car than RAIKKONEN.  :DntKnw: :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »
What is there to understand?  Kimi = 33, Grossjean = 19, Alonso = 06...number simply indicates a drivers name, but just shorter to put on the car than RAIKKONEN.  :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

Could put the three character FIA code on the cars... RAI, GRO, ALO...

but I like numbers better.  Classic part of motorsport.  I don't know why F1 cars hide the numbers so much.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »

Well all right if we must have permanent drivers numbers can we have them painted in nice big and bold on the top of their skidlids, as well as anywhere else, so that we instantly know who is which - if you see what I mean - when they use the forward facing camera behind the drivers heads.
Too many changes in designs and colours on helmets is for me a bigger issue than numbers,
- but hey lets sort one with the other.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 11:54:42 AM »
If it works, don't fix it.  There really is nothing more to say about this ridiculous idea.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle