collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 152
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13027 Posts
John S John S
11301 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Return of USGP at Indy?  (Read 942 times)

Offline cosworth151

Return of USGP at Indy?
« on: November 30, 2007, 02:45:36 AM »
Bloomberg News, a major US business news service, has reported the Indianapolis Motor Speedway President's Joie Chitwood expects Formula One to return to the track.

"I think that Formula One will come back, I really do,'' Chitwood said yesterday in an interview in New York. "There's nothing definitive but I think there has been some dialogue. It's coming up with the right plan so everybody can benefit from it.''

"We've made a lot of investment in the property. We were disappointed when it went away. For us, the goal is to see if we can get them to come back at some point.''

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway didn't disclose how much it spent to attract Formula One.

Formula One Management didn't immediately return a call placed to its London office after business hours.

Oddly enough, the Bloomberg.com article featured only one picture: Danica Patrick's IndyCar leaving the pits! It also refered to Formula One as "the world's biggest auto-racing circuit." I thought it was a series.

I've never been to any sporting venue, racing or otherwise, that does as good a job of putting on an event as IMS. No other venue treats its fans any better, either.

Cos

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Return of USGP at Indy?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:36:08 PM »
It's good to hear someone on the side of the fans. Ironic don't you think that Bernie can allow Michelin to really c*ck up the US Gp and then a year later tell the IMS they are not up to standard. Obviously Bernie needs to make up the lost dollars from the joke Bridgestone benefit race since Michelin are no longer around so he finds fault with IMS.
           :good:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 01:47:49 AM »
I grew up 35 miles from Indy.

I was extremely disappointed by the loss of that GP.

I do think the infield section needs a bit of work, but I am afraid that a chicane placed down off of the final turn banking is what will happen.  My changes would be to make turn 1 another 50 yards down the track and make turn 1 a 25-30 mph corner instead of turns 1 and 2 being 70 - 80 mph esses.  Perhaps eliminate turn 7 or 8, whatever the next to last before the Hullman Blvd straight.

I do hope they return to Indy though, whatever the changes.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 05:39:05 AM »
Have you seen the changes being made to the road course?

http://www.redbullindianapolisgp.com/pages/motogpcourse.php

They're doing it for the Moto GP, but the FIA has approved it for F1. Most of the changes are up in what used to be the last corner.

I grew up 35 miles from Indy.

Which direction? I was born about 30 miles south of Indy, on the Army post at Camp Atterbury.

Cos
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 08:26:54 AM »
Indy was the best show in F1 in my opinion.  Although I've never been to Indy (still way up on my list, but life just hasn't allowed it until now), I've seen enough televised races, historical movies and behind the scenes shows that I have a pretty good idea what it's all about. I also had a friend who used to go, but I won't use her as a reference since she said she was usually passed out drunk by the time the race started.

Anyway, point to this ramble is that generally in the U.S., they know that a happy customer is willing to pay and pay and pay even more.  But the value has to be there.  In Europe, they get as much as they possibly can out of a customer just so long as they buy the ticket.  They don't bother with the little extras (like decent food or souveniers, clean toilets, non-race entertainment, maximum access for the fan...I could go on and on).  Maybe Bernie and Paddy do a good job in the Paddock Club, but I can't afford it, so I'll never know.

The U.S. deserves 3-4 races if you ask me, and if it got it, things would change in F1 like you've never seen.  They would learn from the best how to treat the fans, the sponsors and put on a great show.  We just need to get Bernie and Max out of there.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle