collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 551
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rome Grand Prix confirmed for 2013  (Read 2452 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Rome Grand Prix confirmed for 2013
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »

Another bloody processional street race, the unspeakable always seems to happen just when everthing else is going so well in F1. Still it's good to see the US of A is still on the aggenda.

A Grand Prix on the streets of Italian capital city Rome has been confirmed by Formula 1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone for the 2013 season. The addition to the calendar will come as it increases in size once again, to 20 races.

With 2010 hosting 19 Grands Prix - the highest amount in one season to date, as first seen in 2005 - the calendar is set to expand yet further in coming years as the 20 figure is hit for the first time.

With Rome having been named as a possible candidate for a race last year before Ecclestone seemingly drifted away from the idea, it now appears as though as deal has been struck.

"Rome will come into the programme for 2013," the Englishman told German magazine Speedweek. "We will have 20 races and the teams will be happy with it."

It is also believed that Ecclestone is still considering a return to the United States in the form of New York street race.

gpupdate.net, Today

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Rome Grand Prix confirmed for 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:40:14 AM »
The tone of that statement implies to me that Bernie didn't ask the teams for their opinion, rather that they will be happy or else...

Hope the race is successful and isn't a complete procession.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »
I don't think Bernie will be happy until he reaches the 30 races per year mark! Maybe he's just grouchy that his mate Zoran's team didn't get in after all.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:56:18 PM »
F1 needs another boring street race like a fish needs a bicycle! If he wants Italy to have another race, put it back at Imola.

As for NYC, they have already said that they don't want anything to do with F1. NASCAR bought a large tract of land on Staten Island. They wanted to build a track with their own money. NYC said "No Way!" and refused then the necessary permits. NASCAR is now selling of the land. Does that sound like they'd want to pay The Evil Troll an boatload of cash to have a race?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:42:33 PM »
F1 needs another boring street race like a fish needs a bicycle! If he wants Italy to have another race, put it back at Imola.

As for NYC, they have already said that they don't want anything to do with F1. NASCAR bought a large tract of land on Staten Island. They wanted to build a track with their own money. NYC said "No Way!" and refused then the necessary permits. NASCAR is now selling of the land. Does that sound like they'd want to pay The Evil Troll an boatload of cash to have a race?

The image of F1 cars racing past the Colloseum is worth a lot of money.  As a sporting spectacle... I have my doubts.  As a way of raising the profile of F1, and bringing more money to the sport, I like it.

The same about F1 in NYC.  I don't see how it can possibly work, but if they can get the debate to show up in the New York papers, than that's all Bernie needs.  (Do you figure Central Park could be configured for a race?)

FW14B

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »
F1 needs dedicated race circuits, not street circuits which, whilst glamorous and can make fantastic images, rarely create the racing spectacle to match.  But, having said that, F1 also doesn't need another Tilke-drome. 

Offline judy

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:22:39 PM »
I agree that F1 need race circuits, not more street circuits. I am sure fans are yearning to see more overtaking in F1 race, not racing on street circuits where overtaking is almost impossible and the qualy grid position will determine the race results.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »
The tone of that statement implies to me that Bernie didn't ask the teams for their opinion, rather that they will be happy or else...

That's what I read too. 

I wouldn't get ruffled feathers yet though - plenty of races have been 'confirmed' only to be dropped later.  For all we know, the Pope might have something to say against it (I mean really, all that noise on a Sunday??  How will the followers hear the holy bells to come and praise?). 

As for New York, and the possibility of a Central Park race, there is no chance of that.  The environmentalists would freak that the largest green space in Manhattan is used for something like F1.  Racing through the streets of NYC would also run up against brick walls, I'm sure - too many traffic issues.  It's not as if NYC needs to attract more tourists anyhow.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

david1275

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
F1 needs dedicated race circuits, not street circuits which, whilst glamorous and can make fantastic images, rarely create the racing spectacle to match. 

True words. We need more proper race circuits!!

Bring back the classics and secure the ones we have!!!!!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 08:56:21 PM »
Does F1 need a 'marquis' event?

In America everyone knows what the Daytona 500, and Indy 500 are... even if they can't identify the drivers, or even be able to tell you the difference... and most people can't name a second event if they aren't a fan, or don't happen to live near one of those events.

IRL and NASCAR have the advantage of being basically in one country, whereas F1 is international.  Most international sports limit themselves to 4 marquis events.  F1 has 19 events, and all are equally weighted.

I know that Monaco is F1's 'crown jewel', and that Italy and Britain are the hearts of F1 fandom, and that Brazil gets boffo (boffo = really big) ratings on TV because of the time zone/relevance to the standings.  Perhaps Bernie can get the exposure he wants by creating 'majors':  races that matter more than others (double points).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:33:59 PM by Jericoke »

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 09:24:27 PM »
Jeri, whats 'boffo', not a term I understand this side of the pond.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »
Jeri, whats 'boffo', not a term I understand this side of the pond.

Boffo means 'really big', and usually has to do with TV ratings, or box office performance.

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »
Thank you Jeri, and yes, I agree, Brazil is a boffo and deservedly so.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 01:37:13 AM »
As a newish F1 fan i must say that brazil is one of my favorite races! I doubt that the nyc race could pull through but if it dose even if its a boring street race i would be extremly happy!! and 13 is the year i graduate so i blevie i would be making a trip  :yahoo:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 01:46:08 PM »
The only place in the U.S. that has shown any interest at all in F1 is Indy. Indy did a better job of putting on an F1 race than any other venue I've ever been to. The only stumbling block seems to be that IMS doesn't want to turn a loss on the event just so Gollum, I mean Bernie, can get even richer.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle