collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 561
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Drivers push for split quali in Monaco  (Read 6556 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Drivers push for split quali in Monaco
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:37:13 PM »

I suppose it makes sense with the tailenders only just managing to stay ahead of GP2 lap times this year. I think Flavio might be right when he said "Is it worth spending £40 million on new F1 cars that are only 1 or 2 seconds ahead of GP2 cars.

ITV-f1.com, Today

Formula 1 drivers from both ends of the grid hope that the FIA will consider splitting the field into two groups for Q1 in Monaco to avert what could be a traffic nightmare.

With the entry up to 24 cars for the first time since the Q1/Q2/Q3 format was introduced, and larger speed differentials from front to back than have been the case for many years, there are fears that qualifying on Monte Carlo's narrow streets will turn into chaos.

"I don’t think it’s a bad idea [to split Q1], as I think having 24 cars on the circuit is going to be tricky," said championship leader Jenson Button.

"And it’s not just that it’s 24 cars, we do still have cars that are six seconds off the pace.

"So it’s going to be very tricky to get a lap, and we might find a quick car getting knocked out of Q1."

His team-mate Lewis Hamilton agreed.

"It's already been very, very close and very difficult to find a gap in qualifying in the past couple of races, so Monaco would be virtually impossible to get a clear lap I imagine," he said.

"I think it would be a sensible move [to split into groups]."

Jarno Trulli admitted that he would find it hard to stay out of the title contenders' way in his off-the-pace Lotus in Monaco.

"I think it's very hard for me that I'm slow as well as for the guys in front that are very quick," he said.

"Maybe they should say, just for once in the season, 24 cars, we don't want to have problems, get the agreement of all the teams, and split it.

"It's better to sort it out before rather than making a big mess.

"I am slow, so I'm going to probably impede someone else.

"The guy which I have impeded, he's probably going to get me back, it's a bit like this."

Red Bull's Mark Webber doubts that any of the absolute front-runners would get caught out, but saw the logic of splitting the session.

"You could have a couple of big scalps where guys might not get a clear run," he said.

"But you would think it might more affect guys who are on the bubble and need two or three really clear laps.

"A lap for a fast guy that might be mediocre or semi-mediocre might still get you through.

"We know the guys driving the cars which are a little bit slower are still on the limit, they're doing their stuff, but they have nowhere to go there.

"It's blind, you can come up on someone very, very fast.

"A split session is something I wouldn't be in favour of, but it could be beneficial.

"It could help, but I think we could get on with it."

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Drivers push for split quali in Monaco
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:00:41 PM »
As a fan, I say 'no'.

If this mixes up the grid, drops a few front runners to the back where they might have to pass to win, I say 'good'.

Qualifying is NOT about having the best car, but about having the best lap.  If you can't find a way to get a decent lap in 20 minutes, hire better spotters. 

(I wouldn't be against adding 5 minutes to Q1 to give everyone one extra chance.)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »
Me too.  I like the Q format just how it is for Monaco.   :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »
I'm with Jeri & Scott. Let the chips fall where they may!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Williamsfan

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:08:27 PM »
I am going to be boring and agree with everyone.  Why not have some good cars sent to the back?  They have no divine right to be occupying the front grid slots for each race. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 08:52:14 PM »
The teams have to unanimously agree to it...so there is no chance.   ;) ;)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83401

David

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:59:06 AM »
The cookie will crumble as it will IMO. No need to change Quli!!

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »
I'm sickened by this proposal, there has always been faster and slower cars, if they can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Some of these drivers are acting more like football prima donnas.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Williamsfan

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »
Really well said Ian!

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »
I'm sickened by this proposal, there has always been faster and slower cars, if they can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Some of these drivers are acting more like football prima donnas.

yeah, that's right; most of 'em ARE F1 prima bella donnas
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 04:53:11 PM »

Well, they do bring it up as a safety issue... a lot of blind corners at Monaco.  As a safety issue, we can't dismiss it out of hand.

But still, if you're worried about a crash, slow down, problem solved.

Having active spotters is a key part of NASCAR (as though it's tough to see anything on an oval!?), why not F1?

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 05:55:02 PM »
Having active spotters is a key part of NASCAR (as though it's tough to see anything on an oval!?), why not F1?

I think we talked about this before, but the main difference is that in NASCAR it's one or two guys on the grandstand roof with binoculars in constant contact with the driver.  It could work in F1 at Indy (ironic), but most other tracks have no place where you can see the entire track from one place.  Having a team of spotters would be hellish to deal with on the radio, and way too confusing for everyone.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 06:02:25 PM »

I think we talked about this before, but the main difference is that in NASCAR it's one or two guys on the grandstand roof with binoculars in constant contact with the driver.  It could work in F1 at Indy (ironic), but most other tracks have no place where you can see the entire track from one place.  Having a team of spotters would be hellish to deal with on the radio, and way too confusing for everyone.

Surely a couple of guys at the blind corners of Monaco during qualifying wouldn't be that big a challenge. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »
Every corner is blind in Monaco.

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 07:43:23 PM »
I don't want to see anybody get hurt, but think back to the days of Clark, Hill, Moss and even earlier, those guys were driving death machines and they never asked for split quali.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle