collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 583
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Could Kimi replace Petrov next year?  (Read 5616 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Could Kimi replace Petrov next year?
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:48:20 PM »

The rumours of the Iceman returning to F1 will just not die and this piece from Crash.net just adds fuel to the fire. What puzzles me though is why Renault will sack a driver who brings so much funding to replace him with Kimi who traditionally has asked for the biggest pay packet on the grid and may take time to get back up to speed?  :crazy:  The only scenario that I can imagine to make this happen is an agreement with Red Bull to underwrite some of the costs as part of a deal for them continuing to take Renault power.  :DntKnw:

Despite having seen the Red Bull Racing door slam shut in his face, former F1 World Champion Kimi Raikkonen could yet be thrown a lifeline for a return to top flight competition in 2011, it seems - with Renault

Renault is evaluating the possibility of replacing inconsistent rookie Vitaly Petrov with former F1 World Champion Kimi Raikkonen in 2011, sources suggest – with Force India ace Adrian Sutil allegedly also in the running should the Finn prove unattainable.

Raikkonen is currently competing in his maiden campaign in the World Rally Championship with the Citroën Junior Team, having been released by Ferrari last year and having proven unable to agree terms with either former employers McLaren-Mercedes or reigning double world champions Mercedes Grand Prix.

Opinion is divided as to whether the 18-time grand prix-winner has gone for good or is sticking to his original plan of merely taking a sabbatical from the top flight to indulge his second love of rallying, but the recent confirmation that Red Bull Racing will retain both Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber next year looked to have closed the door. Red Bull was previously viewed by many as his most likely destination should he return, as the Citroën Junior Team is similarly sponsored by the Austrian energy drink.

Now, however, authoritative Italian magazine Autosprint has reported that Renault is interested in bringing Raikkonen back in 2011 – and in fact the 30-year-old was previously linked with the Enstone-based outfit last September. It is claimed that the Eric Boullier-led concern is not altogether convinced by Petrov, the first Russian ever to compete in F1 but a driver who has generally struggled in qualifying and proven erratic – if extremely rapid on occasion – come the races.

To-date, the man dubbed the ‘Vyborg Rocket’ has notched up a mere six points from the opening eight grands prix of the 2010 campaign, compared to the 73 tallied by team-mate Robert Kubica. The 25-year-old’s sole points-scoring finish to-date has been seventh place in the Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai. It is understood that Renault will only renew Petrov’s contract should he score 25 per cent of the points total of Kubica; he currently sits at 8.2 per cent.

Crash.net, June 16

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Could Kimi replace Petrov next year?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:42:27 PM »
And you neglected to mention that Petrov is showing himself to be probably the best pay driver in recent history.  Why on earth would they go for Kimi?  Unless Kubica is leaving...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
And you neglected to mention that Petrov is showing himself to be probably the best pay driver in recent history.  Why on earth would they go for Kimi?  Unless Kubica is leaving...

Well, it's possible that even though Petrov is a 'pay driver', Kimi might bring more sponsorship than Petrov does.  He is a world champ.

And where would Kubica go?  Renault and FIF1 are really the only places left worth exploring (I wish Williams would fit that bill)

I'm going to guess that if Kimi does come back, he and Kubica will help drive down each other's offers.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 04:24:03 PM »
Well, it's possible that even though Petrov is a 'pay driver', Kimi might bring more sponsorship than Petrov does.  He is a world champ.

Judging by how much Kimi likes sponsor events, I would guess that he wouldn't.  As for personal sponsorship, I don't think Red Bull would be very interested in putting their stickers on a Renault.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 04:45:50 PM »

Judging by how much Kimi likes sponsor events, I would guess that he wouldn't.  As for personal sponsorship, I don't think Red Bull would be very interested in putting their stickers on a Renault.
Especially since Red Bull has been trying to replace their underpowered Renault engines with Mercedes units.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline gato

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
I don't believe that Kimi wants to return back to F1 next year because he really enjoys rally racing. In Italy he was 2nd (it was not WRC rally) and he has developed in that sport. But time shows what he really does next year!
La macchina e´ bella quando quella vincerà. (The car is beautiful when it wins)
- Enzo Ferrari

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 12:09:31 AM »
Last I heard Kimi had a contract for the next two years with the Red Bull Junior Team in rallying. Hardly something compatible with a season of F1...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 04:36:28 AM »
Ah well, these days contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. If Renault wants him and he wants to race they will find a way. I suspect though, he is done with F1.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 06:17:12 AM »
Bring back Kimi....to almost quote Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman:

"This sport needs an enema"

F1 is boring enough with all these corporate drivers who take lessons in PR. You could always count on Kimi for an all-around good time! Hopefully he'll find a sponsor that isn't afraid of a little controversy.  >:D
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »
As much as I'd  like to see Kimi back in F1, I just don't think it would be at Renault.  A much better fit would be Red Bull, and since Mark just signed for another year, I guess that means they've already spoken to Kimi about it.

Offline gato

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »
Bring back Kimi....to almost quote Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman:

"This sport needs an enema"

F1 is boring enough with all these corporate drivers who take lessons in PR. You could always count on Kimi for an all-around good time! Hopefully he'll find a sponsor that isn't afraid of a little controversy.  >:D
Kimi is not so good small talk and PR man, he wants to drive, not talk. Ferrari was not so satisfield because he was too silent at interviews and Massa said that Kimi was really silent about is things. Vise versa Heikki is very lively, he wants to keep contact with PR persons and he is open minded. ;)
La macchina e´ bella quando quella vincerà. (The car is beautiful when it wins)
- Enzo Ferrari

Williamsfan

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 08:45:07 AM »
I'd love to see the Iceman back in F1 and whilst I agree his WRC contract doesn't guarantee he'll be rallying next year, I cannot see him making a return to F1. It is very hard to get back in once you leave and he lacks the legendary status of a Schumacher to make a return a real possibility.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 08:49:22 AM »
That said, he is a former champion and that alone would be a good draw for sponsors. Problem is though is Kimi really interested in F1 anymore?

Williamsfan

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 09:01:40 AM »
He would be a good draw but as has been said, he hates everything that goes along with sponsorship, maybe he would change.  As you say though, the biggest thing is does Kimi really want to come back?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 01:28:55 AM »
He is apparently having fun rallying, he doesn't have to deal with the media, fans, and sponsors to any great degree, and he is finding it a real challenge. Why would he want to come back to F1?

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle