collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 596
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Did Webber allow car to crash into Rosberg?  (Read 3588 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Did Webber allow car to crash into Rosberg?
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »

Some voices are aiming critisism at Mark's clumsy return onto the track after his shunt during the weekend GP, see story below. Could Mark have avoided returning to the track, indeed did he fail to slow the damaged car by not braking?
If Mark did not apply the brakes was this because of damage on the car, was he trying to get back on track to try to continue even though his car was a goner, or was he hoping to cause as much mayhem as possible to any rivals? 

Gerhard Berger has accused Mark Webber of wanting to take out a championship rival after crashing in Sunday's Korean grand prix. Former grand prix winner Berger said on Monday: "He could have hit the brakes and stopped the car at the wall. "He took out Rosberg, but it was the wrong one. I think in his mind he would have preferred Alonso or Hamilton," the former Ferrari and McLaren driver told Austrian Servus TV.

The Mercedes driver collected by the crashing Red Bull also voiced his concern "I don't understand why Webber didn't hit the brakes," said Rosberg. "It was crazy to roll back across the track like that."

Asked to clarify whether he thinks Webber's move was deliberate, Berger - a former co-owner of the second Red Bull team Toro Rosso - added: "Yes, I think that's very clear.

"He goes off and he knows it's over. In this moment you're frustrated and a thousand thoughts go through your head. "It's very obvious, you can see his wheels are not locked up. Perhaps he had a brake problem, but I don't think so."

OneStop Strategy.com, Oct 26.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

David

Re: Did Webber allow car to crash into Rosberg?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:07:14 PM »
What a load of ball rocks!! Mark was a passanger in that car when he crossed Rosberg's path, he was sliding on the floor with at least one wheel broke on the car on a wet track. He probably had his eyes closed and his butt cheeks clenched hoping to avoid such an incident.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:08:09 PM »
That's a pretty broad accusation.

Although coming from a grand prix driver gives it more merit than coming from EJ or Bild.

I'd certainly give Webber the benefit of the doubt.  It seems far more likely that in such trecherous conditions that he took a moment to relax (as crazy as it seems, I'm going to suggest he just enjoyed the ride... 10 blissful seconds of zero responsibility) than he made a decision to wreck someone else's race.

On the other hand, with the car backwards, he would be able to see oncoming traffic, and in that gloom, a Mercedes isn't all that different from a McLaren.  Rosberg even has a yellow helmet which would be very visible...

David

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:12:51 PM »
Found this video, you can clearly see the back of the car down, so much so the front right wheel isn't touching the ground.

Offline romephius

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:21:27 PM »
What a stupid statement to be made by berger.  The drivers safety advocate trying to cause a collision.  I don't think so, berger is obviously on drugs.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:26:37 PM »
Berger loves making outrageous statements, and if they cause controversy between British and German (or Austrian) drivers, all the better.

There is no way that Webber could have made a conscious decision in that sort of time frame.  He was a passenger once he hit the wall, and clearly his rear suspension was broken, so perhaps his brakes didn't even work.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »
I've watched that video about 10 times now, Webbers rear left is down and his front right is clearly at least 2 to 3 inches in the air, I would say at that time he was a passenger. I never rated Berger anyway.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Cam

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 10:59:26 PM »
These sorts of comments always say a lot more about the accuser than the accused.

To quote Steven Covey "We judge ourselves by our actions and others by our intentions"

For it to be deliberate Webber would at least have to be sure he wasnt going to get hurt himself.
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 11:13:04 PM »
slam the brakes and stop in the middle to the track? with that kind of suspension damage there is no stopping the car from spinning on the track like that

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 12:09:16 AM »
Gerhard Berger should shut the hell up. 'nuff said.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 12:33:41 AM »
Berger and Lauda,the Laurel and Hardy of F1
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:54:39 AM »
As I already mentioned on a Dutch forum:

One wheel hanging somewhere in the air, one suspension broke. Who knows if the brakesystem wasn't damaged? And furthermore: stopping a car in the middle of a slippery track in that conditions, with the risk of being hit in the sidepot by another car while getting out? Mmm... I think he was hoping to slid through.
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 10:37:30 AM »
I know I have accused Webber of letting the red mist get the better of him at times (and I still believe it to be true) but to say that he planned to take out other drivers, after what turned out to be a fairly big hit, is total rubbish.
If he had time to do any planning at all it would be self-preservation. If he thought the car was going to suffer a front end impact he may have moved his feet as far out of the pedal box as possible. To hell with braking if the impact then breaks your ankles!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
On Speed Channel's broadcast, David Hobbs pointed out that Mark had destroyed his left rear suspension on the first impact. After that, his car was a projectile.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 03:10:33 PM »
What a stupid statement to be made by berger.  The drivers safety advocate trying to cause a collision.  I don't think so, berger is obviously on drugs.

A position once held by Michael Schumacher... (Driver's safety advocate causing a collision.  Not drug user.)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle