collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 597
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Third Cars  (Read 3292 times)

Offline markfarrell9572

Third Cars
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »
Ferrari have long wanted to run a third car, and with the lack of opportunities for up and coming drivers to get their backside in a car, how about each team being allowed run 3rd car in a maximum of 5 races.  Only one nominated driver is allowed and  must contest all 5 races.  He (or she) must compete at their home race, or in the case they have no home GP must nominate one.  To help protect the smaller teams 26 cars can start the race and only top 2 from each team can score constructor's points.  To avoid teams running spoilers in the championship run in there has to be a 2 race gap between each race the driver can do.  To raise funds the third cars can race in separate liveries.

Any views on this?

Offline Scott

Re: Third Cars
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:56:52 PM »
I think it could work if there were less than 12 teams (maybe 8 or 9) but as it stands, I would say the races would become way too crowded.  Plus rules to make it fair like you suggest might make it way to complicated for the casual fan, which F1 desperately needs to keep.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 01:42:28 AM »
I always felt that if Ferrari was serious about running more drivers, they could easily field a second team, a la Red Bull/ Toro Rosso.

There is still one open slot for a team... but no effort from Ferrari

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 04:10:56 AM »
I do agree with Scott: much to complicated...
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Jugirl

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 07:55:02 AM »
I do agree with Scott: much to complicated...

I agree there. Its hard enough to keep up with everything this season already hehe.
Imagine poor Brundle and Coulthard trying to commentate with all those extra cars  :DD

Ju

David

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 01:43:09 PM »
No need for third cars on race day, but it might be an idea to allow a third in FP1 & 2?  :DntKnw:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 03:06:26 PM »
No need for third cars on race day, but it might be an idea to allow a third in FP1 & 2?  :DntKnw:

It doesn't really fit with the current mandate of 'affordability'.  Ferrari can bring more cars, more parts to the track than HRT can, and advance their programme considerably faster in a 'no testing' world.

It is a good idea though, and I'm looking forward to the day where FIA decides the sport is healthy enough to let the teams do as they wish again!

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »
I think you're right Jeri (you mentioned in another thread) that if Ferrari wants a third car, why not a fourth too, so just buy another team.  Phillip Morris money is still raining down on them, so why not just go out and buy an HRT or Virgin, set up a satellite shop in the UK and get on with it?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »
I think you're right Jeri (you mentioned in another thread) that if Ferrari wants a third car, why not a fourth too, so just buy another team.  Phillip Morris money is still raining down on them, so why not just go out and buy an HRT or Virgin, set up a satellite shop in the UK and get on with it?

Or even Torro Rosso and keep it all in Italy.  ;) :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 04:24:18 PM »
STR might cost them too much money - they aren't showing too badly these days.   ;)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »

Or even Torro Rosso and keep it all in Italy.  ;) :D

I suspect there is enough room at Maranello to setup a distinct 'factory' for Ferrari-Ino.

And Concorde allows 13 teams... so there's a free spot available without having to buy anything.

What rules would prevent Ferrari from running two teams?

I know that each car has to have a unique design, but surely one team could handle two cars?  If not, having a junior and senior team would be just as helpful for the whole team, not just drivers.

They would be able to share wind tunnels though, even if the data is required to remain distinct.  How's that for FIA's cost savings?

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 06:35:55 PM »
I'd like to know exactly what is allowed to be shared and what is not.  Unique design doesn't necessarily mean they don't share a TON of parts.  Just the aero has to be unique?  Suspension, gearbox, engine, hydraulics, electronics, mechanical and actual manufacture of the carbon bits can all be shared (as long as they stick to their 'unique design'?).  Plus factory infrastructure could be shared - including all facilities and computer systems.  Driver simulation systems could be shared, and obviously management reports to the same upper-management.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »

It doesn't really fit with the current mandate of 'affordability'.  Ferrari can bring more cars, more parts to the track than HRT can, and advance their programme considerably faster in a 'no testing' world.

It is a good idea though, and I'm looking forward to the day where FIA decides the sport is healthy enough to let the teams do as they wish again!

In 2003, teams finishing outside the top 4 could use a third driver in two practises specifically set aside for them in exchange for a limited in-season testing regime. It worked well but fell apart when the big teams claimed this was unfair.

The trouble was all the alternatives the big teams were prepared to accept were far more expensive.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »

They'd have to get the FIA to approve it first and Jean Todt won't want to give any team currently in F1 any more power than he has to because of the upcoming Concorde negotiations. Any 13th team will have to be a well-funded independent (because Jean's shown he won't accept a badly-funded independent as a new team on his watch) or a car company not currently in F1.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

David

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »

I look forward to that day too Jeri. F1 shouldn't be about cost cutting. It should be the ultimate series for the ultimate teams, and those teams should be able to engineer their ultimate racing machines. To do this they either need testing or a third car to run at race weekends to develop, and the other two can focus on set up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle