collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 572
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Will you pay to watch on Sky next year?

Yeah, sign me up!
1 (5.9%)
No way
13 (76.5%)
Already a sky sports customer
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Poll: Are you going to pay?  (Read 2566 times)

Offline markfarrell9572

Poll: Are you going to pay?
« on: August 03, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
I guess this applies only to fans in UK and Ireland.  How many of us are going to pay for Sky Sports next year?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:05:10 PM by markfarrell9572 »

Offline Canada Darrell™

Re: Are you going to pay?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:05:08 PM »
You should just change the question to "would you pay to get live F1 races?"......

Either way I felt I should vote because my answer either way is "no"

Cheers
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Poll: Are you going to pay?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:43:53 PM »
Since I don't have £120,000 in the bank to get a house that can get Sky, I don't even need to think about this.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:52:18 PM »

I really can't vote on the choices given, I want to keep watching the races live so I've got to investigate how I can do that for the lowest, or no cost.

If there is no internet coverage live my thought at the moment is to switch my BT account for phone and broadband to Virgin. I'll get a Broadband/Phone/TV package from this cable supplier, for about the same as the price I pay BT, and I can then purchase the relevant Sky Sport channel as an extra through Virgin.

Sorry guys n gals, I'm addicted I just can't face 'Cold Turkey' for several months of the year.  :(

One fly in the ointment though, Virgin used to be the dreaded NTL and I swore I would never give them another cent.  >:(  I'm between the Devil and the Murdoch's, it's very, very painful.  :'(

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:03:42 PM »
Subscribe to sky ? Forget it.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »
I've cast my vote :good:

Neil.P

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 10:04:29 PM »
We are sky subscribers, although not to sky sports, just the basic package, earlier this year I noticed 100 euro gone from my account for a service call out that never happened.  After a lot of heated phone calls (and I do mean a lot and I do mean heated) the money was refunded.  During this time sent me mail, to my old address, an address I hadn't lived in in four years, and which made me even more irate, especially as when we moved to the current house they charged me 75 euro for the move!  During one of my arguments with a sky rep I asked if I was to call a service rep where would he go?  They said to my old address.  I spoke to I think five people in Sky to make sure they finally got my address right.  They sent a letter confirming my change of address to.... my old address.

I hate sky, I hate their money grabbing ways, their total lack of customer service, but unfortunately its either them or Chorus (who are unbelievably worse), we have no BT or Virgin.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:12:31 PM »
This doesn't apply to me, but I do pay for F1. Though it is included in my Comcast Cable bill, not a separate purchase. Costs about 65-79 US a month for God knows how many channels only 15 or so of which we actually watch.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:07:53 AM »
I have not voted but here in New Zealand have Sky Sports as its the only channel that has F1 all streamed from the BBC but I miss the pre and post race programes which I may get get once its coming direct from Sky.

I feel for those in the UK, if I was still there I would have Sky as I need my F1 live.

When Bernie first ventured into Sky I paid for the live practices and races (commentators Ben Edwards and John Watson) as they were not on free to air I worked on the theory that what I paid for a season I would pay to attend a singe race. I think that was 1994 as I saw the Barrichello and Ratzenberger crashes live.

Unfortunately I doubt any protests will change anyones mind.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »
I was just reading this: -
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/08/03/skys-deal-damage-f1s-popularity-uk/
and this guy is saying that it is going to cost £61 per race? So what is the monthly cost of have Sky Sports in the UK here in NZ I pay $85 per month which is about £42 per month.

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 12:38:20 PM »
Quote from: Bernie Ecclestone
“For sure there are going to be a lot more people viewing,” reckons Ecclestone. Perhaps, but I suspect many will be watching illegal online video feeds."

You betcha Bernie...you ain't seen nothing yet if you think you've got pirate F1 broadcasts under control.   :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 11:46:19 AM »
I have to admit I do find it funny that Bernie is taking the blame, he will just take the money of whoever. the BBC are fully to blame for this, they approached Sky and worked with them and they are the only reason it is now with Sky.. They should have either got behind it or stopped it rather than go for this pointless half measure. At least that way another free channel like C4 could've picked it up. Would've been better than Sky.

I already have Sky sports so will watch it live. Depending on the BBC's standard of coverage next year (and I'm expecting a much more watered down approach) I will hopefully only have to watch half of them on Sky. I hate Sky but really have little choice as everything I watch (pretty much bar Top Gear and F1!) is on Sky or channels Sky allow me access too!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 01:53:35 PM »
I have to admit I do find it funny that Bernie is taking the blame, he will just take the money of whoever. the BBC are fully to blame for this, they approached Sky and worked with them and they are the only reason it is now with Sky.. They should have either got behind it or stopped it rather than go for this pointless half measure. At least that way another free channel like C4 could've picked it up. Would've been better than Sky.

I wholeheartedly agree the BBC have caused this incredubly stupid half only situation. Why couldn't they just see out their contract and then let open competition from other terrestrial broadcasters take place for the coverage. If it then had to go only on Sky so be it, it would be no worse for us real fans than what they have left us with.

The BBC should be asking Sky for a cut from the proceeds for the inevitable new subscribers Sky will get. I don't pay my licence fee to have the BBC then force me to pay more for coverage of the sport I love, whilst still using licence fees to underwrite the deal until 2018.  >:(

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 11:08:53 PM »
I was just reading this: -
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/08/03/skys-deal-damage-f1s-popularity-uk/
and this guy is saying that it is going to cost £61 per race? So what is the monthly cost of have Sky Sports in the UK here in NZ I pay $85 per month which is about £42 per month.

The calculated amount has since gone down... ...to £60 per race. There are some assumptions though:

- You don't have Sky of any description yet

- You don't care about anything on Sky except the F1 (either because you already have alternative means of access or because Sky simply doesn't broadcast your taste in TV programming other than F1)

- You therefore have to buy the basic package as well as Sky Sports

- You want Sky Sports 1 and 2 (otherwise you are in danger of not seeing some races due to clashing football, cricket or other things)

- You want to watch in HD (currently SD and HD are both free in the UK through BBC, but SD is somewhat cheaper than HD on Sky... ...it's only £47.60 per race)

- As a new subscriber, you are stuck with the 12-month minimum contract length
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »
I still do not know how you come up with £60 per race?
£60 per month I may believe although I cannot recall paying that when I was in the UK. My nephew reconed £32 per month?
So I'm still confused!! :DntKnw:

I finally found the time to search Sky UK and currently I could get Sky+ HD with Sky Sports for £50 per month.
I agree its a lot of money but less than the £60 per race that has been quoted on here.
It will be interesting to see what Sky are going to offer to attract new and existing F1 fans and I'm sure they will come up with something.
I can see and hope that MB and DC are on their line up I still hope that it will improve what I already have here in NZ.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:37:53 AM by Andy B »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle