collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 589
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: iPad Mini Retina is here!  (Read 5553 times)

Offline Scott

iPad Mini Retina is here!
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »
A couple of hours ago Apple announced (against many industry rumours) that they will in late November be shipping the new iPad Mini with Retina display - 2048 x 1536. 

I've been waiting (still have 1st gen iPad at the moment, but it crashes daily), hoping they would release the mini with the new display and here it is.  Can't wait to see if it will be under the tree this Christmas.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/22/4864160/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-2013-hands-on

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

Re: iPad Mini Retina is here!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:45:38 PM »
I don't hate Apple.

My second computer computer was an Apple IIe.
(My first was a Timex Sinclair 1000)

I've got a iPod Touch (2nd Gen)

But they market themselves as 'premium' and 'easy to use'.  Why does a three year old iPad crash daily?

My HP Windows Vista PC runs just fine (I just replaced the power supply which was zapped by a blackout).  My eMachines laptop running Windows Vista still works despite being dropped so often the chassis is cracked.  (It's always been a bit of of a crappy computer though.  It was intended for Windows XP, and should never have been setup with Vista) My Acer Liquid E Android v 1 phone worked for three years (I did have to replace the battery) before I got my free upgrade.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »
Not complaining one bit.  I depreciate computers (including iPads) on about a 3 year cycle, and considering what my iPad has been through between me and my kids, I'm pretty pleased it has lasted this long.  I was due for a refresh, and though I liked the original iPad mini, I wasn't thrilled with the screen resolution.  Most industry analysts suggested the iPad mini wouldn't get the retina screen until the next generation, so I'm just happy I won't have to wait until next year.

Besides, it's not going in the dustbin, I'll retire it to the hotel where we will lend it out to guests who need to use it.  Plus we are upgrading our hotel software and have found a decent one that is completely online.  No longer will we have to run to the office to check on availability.  We'll be able to check guests in and out on iPads (we will retire my wife's 2nd gen iPad to the hotel for an office (actually anywhere BUT the office) terminal), do reservations and other accounting functions. 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:09:39 PM »
Not complaining one bit.  I depreciate computers (including iPads) on about a 3 year cycle, and considering what my iPad has been through between me and my kids, I'm pretty pleased it has lasted this long.  I was due for a refresh, and though I liked the original iPad mini, I wasn't thrilled with the screen resolution.  Most industry analysts suggested the iPad mini wouldn't get the retina screen until the next generation, so I'm just happy I won't have to wait until next year.

Besides, it's not going in the dustbin, I'll retire it to the hotel where we will lend it out to guests who need to use it.  Plus we are upgrading our hotel software and have found a decent one that is completely online.  No longer will we have to run to the office to check on availability.  We'll be able to check guests in and out on iPads (we will retire my wife's 2nd gen iPad to the hotel for an office (actually anywhere BUT the office) terminal), do reservations and other accounting functions.

I know you're not complaining.

That's sort of my point though.

It seems to me that sticking an Apple logo on something means consumers are forgiving of any faults.  (And good on any company that can do that.)

I wouldn't buy a premium product when someone who LIKES it mentions that it crashes daily.  (For example... my eMachine is a discount computer.  I never cared it wasn't fast because it literally cost 1/5 of an equivelant Mac.  I wouldn't recommend it, but all the same, I think it was a pretty good value.

Ironically of course, it cost more when I bought it than an iPad Mini Retina costs today...

Maybe that's the real story... the tablet market has driven down prices on laptops)

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:19:03 PM »
If I want a tablet I'll take an aspirin.  :DD  :DD  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 08:44:20 PM »
I'm still not an i-guy. None of the software we use here at FCR Systems will run on them. Once W8 gets sorted out, I might go with a Surface.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »
I should correct myself, it doesn't go blue screen or shut down, just shuts down Safari...really only an inconvenience.  The page is still there when I reopen it.  And it still does video and photos just fine.  I think the real problem is that there are no more software updates for 1st gen iPadf (you might soon find Apple stops them for the 2nd gen iPads soon too).  But you're right, Apple is a bit arrogant that way - they just stop updates because they figure it's time you buy a new one.

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 11:12:13 PM »
So glad I'm not bothered about all this new hi-tech crap.  ::)

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »
That's ok, I don't like beer... :tease:

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 05:14:51 PM »
So glad I'm not bothered about all this new hi-tech crap.  ::)

You don't always have to reassure us that you are a cave-man Ian  :DD :DD

For Jeri :

Usually Apple products outlive windows, but that is more of a operator dependent, rather than factors due to the machine. My theory is the people who run Apple machine are smarted regarding their handling of electronic device, thus can take good care of it. It might be also true that they cost much much higher, so the consumers are very careful. But the thing with Apple product that makes thousands of loyalist, is due to its user friendliness. I have seen many people who just could not switch away from MacOs, iOS because they are much user-friendly than Windows/Android (Their opinion, it may not match with yours).

I have Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Nokia Synbian s40, Android Ice-cream sandwich, Mac Os X in my house and among all these Mac has its own distniction as being the coolest OS to play around.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Online lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »
Someone once said if Apple marketed a bag of rocks as the iPillow, millions of people would say it was the best night's sleep they ever had.
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
Dinosaur BD, dinosaur, I don't own a club.  :tease:

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »
Someone once said if Apple marketed a bag of rocks as the iPillow, millions of people would say it was the best night's sleep they ever had.

I learned to hate Apple today.  Yesterday, in an unusual move, I decided I would jump in both feet and upgrade to the newest version of the Mac OS, called Maverick (named after the waves, not the fictional pilot).  I am generally conservative when it comes to software updates.  I more often than not wait a couple months and listen to the reviews before I dive in. 

BAD MOVE!  In a completely unannounced move, Apple decided that users would no longer need to sync their contacts, email accounts and other data through a silly USB cable.  They should join iCloud and put all their data up there (some say into the NSA's welcome hands).  To force the users to do this, they simply removed the 'info' tab from iTunes when you plug in your device.  It wasn't even an iTunes update that did that, but the friggin' OS.  One problem I've had for ages is that my email accounts (I have a number of them - personal, work, Canada, one I use only for online ordering, plus for my kids etc...) sometimes, for a reason unbeknownst to me, the password on my phone and ipad get corrupted or lost in the settings.  So the simple fix is to plug it in and update it, using that handy 'info' tab to 'copy all email accounts to your device'.  Worked great, really minor inconvenience, and a heckuva lot less work than typing in complicated passwords (which I have on all my email accounts ever since my hotmail account was hacked a couple years back). 

Macforums are filled with furious people over this.  Unannounced rather MAJOR change.  In fact I was so unimpressed with the Maverick update, I wondered why they even bothered (who needs iBook when you have the Kindle app, free and a lot better, with cheaper books). 

Today it showed its ugly head.  I think the biggest change for the user was iCloud repercussions.

I am hoping they realize their mistake and how furious their following are...but who knows.

...Might have to go have another look at that Samsung tab I saw in the store last week.  ;)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »
There's always hope, Scott. MS just released W8.1 & the missing Start button reappeared right back where it should have been all along.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »

Don't get me started on W8 Cos, I've had to purchase a new printer as the bloody software refuses to have anything to do with my expensive Lexmark model which worked fine with Vista.  >:D  The start button, which is not really hard to locate with the settings icon, is trivial compared to this, I've had to shell out real beer money. :'(

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle