collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 579
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Todt says Russian Race is still on  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Scott

Todt says Russian Race is still on
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
That's what you get with squinty little eyes...you can't see what's going on in the world.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/310640/todt-inaugural-russian-grand-prix-is-on/

Well Jean, now that you mention it, yes there actually IS a reason to cancel it.  At the moment, the country is at war, how 'bout that for a reason?  No matter what you think of the Ukraine / Russian conflict, the plain fact is that Russia has invaded Ukraine.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:09:31 PM by scott »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

Re: Tort says Russian Race is still on
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:28:19 PM »
I don't want to get into a massive debate about equivlency, but F1 raced in Canada, Germany, GB and USA while they were active in invading Afghanistan.

I think that Russia is in the wrong on Ukraine, but if Crimea legitimately wants to be part of Russia, it's not really the FIA's place to take a stand.  (Unless there are auto factories in Crimea, or FIA sanctioned race tracks I guess.)

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:40:35 PM »
I do not agree with the Russian intervention in the Ukraine but the Winter Olympics still went ahead. I believe in keeping sport separate from Politics.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 03:04:55 PM »
I'm sure the F1 powers-that-be don't care a farthing or a fig about invasions. They only care about money. The only thing that might stop it are the financial measures taken against Russia. If they can't transfer the funds the race won't happen.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:35:42 PM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Todt says Russian Race is still on
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 03:21:15 PM »
Good points.  I recant.  I always hated that we were hauled into an unjustified war, and rather than being a hypocrite, let the race roll on, I say.  Putin's a bully and a gangster, but it's not our business.  Mind you, I think Canada has actually of offered more support, financially and militarily, than any of the EU countries have so far.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:09:53 PM by scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
I do not agree with the Russian intervention in the Ukraine but the Winter Olympics still went ahead. I believe in keeping sport separate from Politics.

The Winter Olympics did happen before the invasion.

If they had happened after, I'm sure there would have been boycotts.

I think part of what muddies the waters is that Russia's invasion has been (as far as I know) bloodless.  They've just taken over by threat of force, but they haven't actually killed anyone (again, that I'm aware of).

It would be nice for the FIA (and other international sporting bodies) to draw up a list of what is and isn't acceptable.  I know that this list would be far from definitive, and would be abused, but it would give people something to point to and say yes, Russia's in the clear, or no, Russia has crossed this line, we're not doing business with them.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
I have heard that NATO members may issue travel restrictions as part of the next round of sanctions. If that happens, no race.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »

I personally disagree with the EU, originally, and now all the western so called democratic countries trying to pull the Ukraine away from it's Russian neighbour. We got a one sided view from Kiev in the media when all the trouble kicked off. A legitimately elected government was overthrown by mobs encouraged by the noises coming from Brussels and elsewhere. Now correct me if you like but any western government faced with mob rule in it's capital would use all and every power to put down the insurrection - and tell other countries to mind their own damn businesses to boot.

Having said that doesn't mean I like Russia's current political leadership, however the argument of them riding roughshod over half of neighbouring Ukraine just doesn't hold water. The sadness is it's looking more and more likely that Ukraine will split in two as the original rebels in Kiev never had support across the whole country. 

I also still think that Putin has a very big trump card to play against any European sanctions - supply of natural gas - without it northern EU countries, including us in Britain, will have to pay a very high price to keep warm next winter. I reckon the race will still be on. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 05:01:58 PM »
Just for the record; Russia had intervened in Crimea before the Olympics.
There has been considerable bloodshed and a few deaths particularly in Eastern Ukraine. It appears that Russia have armed pro-Russian militia and they have attacked several military and Government buildings in Ukraine.
Crimea has a majority of Russian speaking residents and reports suggest that the majority now want to be associated with Russia but were pro-independence when Ukraine split from Soviet Russia. It is also important to acknowledge that a significant number of residents in Crimea definitely do not want to be part of Russia and it is obvious that Russia's main interest was to ensure they kept control of Sevastopol (their Black Sea naval port).
Eastern Ukraine has approximately 40% Russian ethnicity and 50% Ukraine ethnicity. This area was also pro-Ukraine independence when Ukraine split from Soviet Russia. Now they are fighting for Eastern Ukraine independence (not associated with Russia or Ukraine.
Eastern Ukraine has some of the most industrialised cities in Ukraine and could possibly emerge much richer than the rest of Ukraine (and a fair bit of Russia). It is unlikely that Ukraine or Russia will allow Eastern Ukraine to separate. In short the whole area is on the verge of a massive civil war and (in my opinion) it is all because Russia wanted to stop Ukraine getting closer to the rest of Europe.
It's a mess!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »
Just for the record; Russia had intervened in Crimea before the Olympics.

But not until after mob rule had overthrown the legitimately elected government in Kiev.

The only thing we will probably agree on is ..... It's a mess.

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 08:11:04 AM »
But not until after mob rule had overthrown the legitimately elected government in Kiev.

Yes but they were Russian armed and controlled mobs directed to overthrow the Kiev Government because Kiev had voted to get closer to Europe.

I don't know why we are debating World Politics here but if we do, we should get the facts correct.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »

I don't know why we are debating World Politics here but if we do, we should get the facts correct.

H'mm now there's a poser - facts and politics?  :confused:  I've usually found it's one or t'other; the two just can't seem to live together harmoniously.  :D

Oh we're only getting into it (politics) because it may ruin our weekend in October.   :(

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »
H'mm now there's a poser - facts and politics?  :confused:  I've usually found it's one or t'other; the two just can't seem to live together harmoniously.

and I thought I was the cynical one  :D

I do not think anything happening in the Ukraine will change Russia's day to day life. There will be a lot of 'saber rattling' but the rest of the world will not risk upsetting Russia and Russia will not take overt actions that might upset the rest of the world. Therefore, I fully expect the race to go on.
However, I fear the Ukraine could become another Syria unless the Kiev Government agrees to the demands of the Russian supported militias  :(

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »
H'mm now there's a poser - facts and politics?  :confused:  I've usually found it's one or t'other; the two just can't seem to live together harmoniously.

and I thought I was the cynical one  :D

I do not think anything happening in the Ukraine will change Russia's day to day life. There will be a lot of 'saber rattling' but the rest of the world will not risk upsetting Russia and Russia will not take overt actions that might upset the rest of the world. Therefore, I fully expect the race to go on.
However, I fear the Ukraine could become another Syria unless the Kiev Government agrees to the demands of the Russian supported militias  :(

Sounds about right to me.

I think the bigger problem (with all due respect to the suffering of those in Ukraine and Russia's 'sphere of influence') is the general threat to Democracy.  We've spent a long time believing that's the way to go, and allowing Russia to just undermine it... well wasn't that literally what the cold war was about?

Of course, as you point out, as long as it's business as usual, do we really care if someone else loses Democracy?  Are we still prepared to kill people in the name of Democracy?

vintly

Todt says Russian Race is still on
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 09:40:53 PM »
Interesting piece on what's happening inside Russia while Ukraine fills the headlines.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2014/05/15/dont-ignore-whats-happening-inside-russia/

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle