collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 557
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Those Born 1930-1979  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Dare

Those Born 1930-1979
« on: July 24, 2007, 12:53:42 AM »
Here;s a email I received from my niece.thought you all
may enjoy it

Those Born 1930-1979 
READ TO THE BOTTOM FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY JAY LENO.  IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING ELSE---VERY WELL STATED 

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.   

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we  rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.   

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.  And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.  They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them. CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.
While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were. 

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:
"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline raindancer

Re: Those Born 1930-1979
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:19:26 AM »
How Correct ! Very good Dare ! :)
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:08:27 PM »
100% right on Dare, when once I almost go sent to prison for an offence on my motorbike, all my dad said was " I told you not to do it, deal with it", at the time I thought 'you b*stard', but he was RIGHT and I learnt.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 10:26:54 PM »
100% right on Dare, when once I almost go sent to prison for an offence on my motorbike, all my dad said was " I told you not to do it, deal with it", at the time I thought 'you b*stard', but he was RIGHT and I learnt.
That all sounds pretty familiar. My dad was the same, God bless his soul.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 10:28:13 PM »
Amen

Offline romephius

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 10:49:56 PM »
I got burned for a Firearms offence, same here though, my grandad just said "well you did it, now pay for it"....

responsibility.......we had no idea how much they were helping us with it....

Rom

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:52:33 PM »
You tell that to kids now and they don't believe you do they.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 02:36:32 AM »
Dad would tell me once not to do something. Then when I'd do it an get in a mess, he'd just say, "Bet you've learned not to do that again."

I survived them all. And he was usually right about that.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 11:57:15 AM »
Interesting that we should all concentrate on that one aspect of the original post (I agree, by the way).  Are we identifying the real cause for "what's wrong with kids today" - that they are not allowed to take the consequences of their mistakes?
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 11:59:05 AM »
Incidentally, I read quite a few profiles yesterday - this really is The Old Farts Forum, isn't it?  No wonder it's so good...  ;)

Offline romephius

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 02:09:47 PM »
Hey Chameleon......I'm ONLY 30 mate.......hardly an old fart......I'm just a fart with a chance to mature into an old fart......LOL.

it's just a good sensible forum here.....all with responsibility and consequences....it's great

rom

Offline johnbull

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 04:47:08 PM »
Incidentally, I read quite a few profiles yesterday - this really is The Old Farts Forum, isn't it?  No wonder it's so good...  ;)

Hey Chammy, you speak for yourself! :-[

I'm not an old fart - I'll be a young 61 in a few days time. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: though the missus tells me I act like a 17 year old.

Shame I can't do everything like I used to do when I was 17. ;)
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 05:51:30 PM »
Hey Chameleon......I'm ONLY 30 mate.......hardly an old fart......I'm just a fart with a chance to mature into an old fart......LOL.

it's just a good sensible forum here.....all with responsibility and consequences....it's great

rom

Agreed, Rom.  I just like not being outnumbered by young 'uns for a change.  ;)

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 05:53:12 PM »

Hey Chammy, you speak for yourself! :-[

I'm not an old fart - I'll be a young 61 in a few days time. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: though the missus tells me I act like a 17 year old.

Shame I can't do everything like I used to do when I was 17. ;)

And I'm 59, John - and enjoying life more than I did at 17!   :yahoo:

Offline raindancer

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 07:22:59 PM »
Interesting that we should all concentrate on that one aspect of the original post (I agree, by the way).  Are we identifying the real cause for "what's wrong with kids today" - that they are not allowed to take the consequences of their mistakes?
I guess the real cause is ( incidentally I am 39 and my son is 13) the media explosion. TV, Computer games, Internet and so on. For instance he comes back from school, plays his PS2 or Nintendo, watches WWF and few other absolutely moronic channels, sees images of killing, blood, gore, rape and anguish goes on to watch entertainment with permissiveness, promiscuity, violence against women and children, celebrities lying on TV, War and his values are gone by the time he is 16.
He thinks that if I object I am an Ogre and gives vent to it in various ways of rebellion all which screw up his life.
It is truly a global village today and while the electronic media have done a lot of good all of it is not so. As parents and adults, we need to set an example.
For instance I tell my son everyday, that I worked on the first Mac, I could go on and on but the thing is unrestrained content is affecting human maturity.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle