collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 541
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jim Clark  (Read 6669 times)

Offline Dare

Jim Clark
« on: October 12, 2007, 10:38:41 PM »
Article I found on Jimmy,if you have'nt
already saw it Steven,I thought you
may enjoy it

http://atlasf1.autosport.com/99/bra/preview/horton.html

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Dare

Re: Jim Clark
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »
and these pictures taken at the Jim Clark memorial
at Hockenheim

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~garycr/2001/jim_clark_memorial/index.htm
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 11:13:42 PM »
I haven't seen the article before.  Thanks for that.

The pictures of the memorial at Hockenheim always remind me now of a journalist who went out to see it 4 or 5 years ago and found a load of Schmacher fans throwing empty beer cans at it.  The guy had a real go at about 2 dozen of them gave them a lecture on respecting a great driver.  He then contacted the circuit officials and the German motor sport federation and gave them a bollocking for allowing the memorial to get into such a state.  I wish I could remember who he was.

There is an Australian who has a really good Jim Clark site.  I can't find the link for it so it must be on my old computer.  I must have a look for it.  I have sent the link to various people over the years so I must have e-mails mentioning it.

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 11:30:42 PM »
If your like me Steven,you can't get
enough Jim

http://jimclark.petra-kienast.de/index.html

found one site which may be your Australian
site,when I clicked on it got the dreaded
web page can't be shown message

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:33:55 PM »
I found the link I was looking for but it doesn't work any more.  http://users.eis.net.au/~bramwell/tasman.htm 

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:36:27 PM »
I found the link I was looking for but it doesn't work any more.  http://users.eis.net.au/~bramwell/tasman.htm 

that's the same one I found.I think I've
seen it before

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:43:47 PM »
http://www.chirnside.org.uk/people.html

He is buried in a little village calle Chirnside.  If you scroll down the page there is a picture of the grave stone which shows the attitude then.   It says farmer then racing driver. 

There is a little mueum with all his trophies in Duns the nearest town to his farm.  There used to be a site that showed photos of the inside but all the tourist sites now only show the outside.  Senna visited it half way through his F1 career because Clark was his hero.  You tend not think of Senna as modest but when he signed the visitors book he put his address in it as if putting Ayrton Senna wouldn't make it clear who he was.

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:53:08 PM »
I've seen a site that showed the inside the
musuem.It's called the Jim Clark Room and
I believe I read that Sir Jackie started it

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 12:21:34 AM »
Jackie Stewart did the official opening but as far as I am aware the local council set it up and operate it.  Obviously his family supplied all the trophies etc.  I went once about 15 years ago before they upgraded it and it is very small but it took me about 4 hours to go round it all.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 05:43:15 PM »
He is buried in a little village calle Chirnside.  If you scroll down the page there is a picture of the grave stone which shows the attitude then.   It says farmer then racing driver. 

From everything I've read about the man, that is how he thought of himself.

While many of us F1 fan will argue about Senna, Fangio, Prost, Schumi. et. al., Clark is almost universally revered. I think it speak volumes about him.

Sir Jackie Stewart tells a story about his early days in the sport. He mentioned to Clark that he (Stewart) had made a mistake on a corner during practice.

Clark said "Oh, you shunted?"

Stewart replied, "No, I got it back and saved it."

Clark didn't understand. "If you made a mistake and were able to save it, then you couldn't have been driving all-out."

Stewart said he never forgot that.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 07:59:36 PM »
Thats a pukka racing driver for you ain't it.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 05:21:08 PM »
Clark was one of a kind.

Always been my favorite.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Dare

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 09:02:03 PM »
I am amzed people are making stuff like this.  There can't be many drivers who can sell T shirts 40 years after they died.  Especially when you consider how little TV coverage there was then.

Offline Dare

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 04:53:18 AM »
Steven,thought you may like to see this.Itls
a little bit on his last race,Fortually the
crash isn't seen

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle