collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 554
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Formula 1 GP Europa Valencia 2008 crash Raikkonen vs Mechanic  (Read 2836 times)

TheStig

Formula 1 GP Europa Valencia 2008 crash Raikkonen vs Mechanic
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »
It is not a nice thing to see people injured in the sport but i found this .....Hope the chap is OK

TheStig

Offline cosworth151

Re: Formula 1 GP Europa Valencia 2008 crash Raikkonen vs Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 08:30:10 PM »
Terrible looking accident. I'm glad that Mr. Timpini escaped with only a minor fracture of his foot. I see that Kimi is taking responsibility for the incident.

In the slo-mo, it looks like Mr. Timpini attempted to pull the rig from the car just before Kimi leaves, but it doesn't move. Since Ferrari uses that light system instead of the lollipop, it's hard to tell what signal Kimi waas being given.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:13:25 PM »
Looks to me like Kimi was at fault he was being given the throttle sign but not the go signal. In the vid the red light stays on but a second light either red, yellow or amber also comes on, definetly no green light.

I am not certain about Ferrari light system but logic dictates any system must have the red going off with or without another light coming on. Any combination therefore with a red light showing cannot be go, it would be much to confusing.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 11:23:57 PM »
The onboard showed that the red and amber lights were on but not the green.  The mechanic who puts on each wheel has a button and there is one on the fuel hose.  The head mechanic has an override button so I guess the amber comes on whenn all 5 buttons have been pressed with only the chief mechanic to press his.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:47:11 AM »
idiot technology at work here; is known as ID ten T:

I D 10 T

and must be changed preferably by the FIA ruling it too dangerous
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 10:00:03 AM »
I wonder if the lolipop will be back for Ferrari at Spa?  FIA might come in and tell them to sort out the problem before they use it again...oh wait a sec.,  it's Ferrari, the FIA won't say a thing.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »
Get well soon, Mr. Timpani.

This looks like the equivalent of the Albers incident in last year's French Grand Prix, except that Kimi didn't take the hose quite as far as Christijan did (which explains why he hasn't been fined - at no point did the hose present a hazard to other competitors, only his own side). I don't think it's an inherant problem in the Ferrari system so much as lack of training on Kimi's part about when he needs to do certain stuff in relation to it.

If they add a rival-proximity sensor and perhaps optimise the system a bit more, then I can see the Ferrari system becoming mandatory in a number of years, since I think it has the potential to be safer than the lollipop system. Just not in this specific version.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Willy

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:59:04 PM »
Kimi has taken full responsibility for the incident. He jumped the lights. This system needs revamping, very soon.

Best wishes for the injured people (wasn't there more then one?)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »
There were several people involved in the Kimi accident, but I think only the one was injured enough for anyone to panic outright about it. Which probably means the others had bruises and were feeling rather sore.

I assume this is also the case with the front jack man in Webber's pit stop.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 01:24:43 PM »
Kimi has taken full responsibility for the incident. He jumped the lights. This system needs revamping, very soon.

I don't know why they show multiple lights.  There is no need for the driver to know when each wheel guy is finished.  He should feel the car hit the ground after the tire change and wait for the green light - end of story.  Showing all the steps to the driver gives him expectations and urges him to estimate the last step and pull away.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »
The fuel hose man has three l.e.d.'s in the top corner of his visor that tell him when he is connected and when te fuel flow starts and stops. It seems like that system could be slightly modified for this use.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »
According to Autosport today the orange light comes on when the fuel hose is engaged so I guess if you know you are getting 7 seconds worth of fuel as soon as you see that you start counting down in your head.

TheStig

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 09:59:24 PM »
Communication for driver and pit crew is a must for future safety.

Lights,flags and the old Lollipop are old hat.

Just a good old bang on the Helmet should set the diver free to go,and he should not move until he gets one.
Simple:

TheStig

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 01:09:47 PM »
I like your thinking Stig. Quite a few drivers over the years would have benefitted from a bang on the helmet

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 06:52:25 PM »
I think the problem with that was when the mechanics were peeved at the driver for screwing something up, the bang tended to be quite a bit harder  >:D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle