collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 585
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Most improved car  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Dare

Most improved car
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:50:41 PM »
We did driver so we might as well do car as well.
BMW earlier in the year would easily been my pick.
Then Toyota came on and started shining.Well
Renault went from a nobody early to a race threat
in the later season,watch them next year

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Most improved car
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:10:46 AM »
And don't forget about Torro Rosso
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:15:18 AM »
And don't forget about Torro Rosso

I wonder what would have happened if they retained
Speed and Luizzi?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:23:40 AM »
We did driver so we might as well do car as well.
BMW earlier in the year would easily been my pick.
Then Toyota came on and started shining.Well
Renault went from a nobody early to a race threat
in the later season,watch them next year

yeah Dare, RENAULT is my pick over the others - although BMW shines as well - as they were absolutely a basket case in 2007

and it appears to me the return of double WDC fernando has made the significant difference and really may surprise a lot of F1 fans in 2009
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:42:16 AM »
Most improved car ?  TORO ROSSO. Without a doubt.

From nowhere to a race winner.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

FW14B

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »
Either for the STR for coming through, winning a race and humbling the main Red Bull team, or the Renault for the incredible end of season pace it showed.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 12:41:45 PM »
STR, for going from (almost) worst to first. I wonder how hard Vettel is lobbying to stay there.

BMW jumped way up from last year, too. I look for them to contend next season.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 03:52:40 PM »
On results I would probably say Renault but how much ofthat was down to Alonso getting his act together after the previous season and how much was car we will probably never know.  Alonso at the end of the season is clearly a vast improvement on Alonso at the start of the season.

I think on car only you have to pick STR.  Again how much of that is due to them now having the Ferrari version of the engine as opposed to the FIF1 version we will never know.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 09:54:53 PM »
I'd go for Force India as the most improved car, as they gained two complete percentage points on the opposition. Granted, it was literally impossible for some teams to make that much absolute ground, but this lot have the smallest budget by some margin...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 02:21:08 PM »
BMW would be my choice for the first half of the season but when it was clear they had acheived their objective of 3rd in the constructors they turned down the heat. I think they realised to late that it's not over until the last race and they could have acheived more, it's a problem of corporate culture in my book and shows why they have not been able to get to the real sharp end.

STR on the other hand show the bold strokes you have to pull to get amongst the front runners and certainly rank just in front of Renault for improvement in the second half. I know STR got the improved engine but they still had to make it work in their, sorry RBR, chassis and the whole package was a revelation

Just where did that Renault speed come from and especially just after Flav was moaning about other makes upping their engine spec, was it Pat's boys or was it Alonso? I favour car improvements as Piquet picked up well in the later races.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 02:22:51 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 09:26:43 PM »
As much faith as I have in Alonzo, I think there is no question that it was the car.  I wonder if the FIA told them that they would 'overlook' any engine improvement after Renault was moaning about other teams using loopholes to improve engine performance.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline greener_09

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 09:49:48 PM »
This is a hard one. BMW have been consistent all season but the Torro Rosso has been makin the top 10 all season. Renault have come on strong in the last 4-5 races but i think i have to give it to Torro Rosso.

FW14B

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
The Force India is a good call.  Back markers get little credit for their pace but the team did a fantastic job closing the gap on the rest of the field.  Could really challenge Williams next season and I worry that at their current rate they could force my lot to the back of the grid.  I guess a lot depends on the rumoured announcements on Monday and if they retain Gascoyne or not.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 11:20:29 AM »
When you look at the gap from the front to the back of the grid Force India's progress has been outstanding.  The difficulty of course is maintaining that progress when there is major rule change.  I think Vijay is being very clever in looking for a complete drive train rather than trying to use som customer bits with some of their own bits.  It will be interesting to see how the team responds to the stability Vijay offers.  It is some time since they went into a second consecutive season with the same owner and had no financial problems hanging over them.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 11:25:47 AM »
I hope they keep Gascoyne (I also hear Colin Kolles might not stay around too long if Mercedes gets involved, but that rumour seems downright daft). They need him to improve the car like he improved it in the 2007/2008 off-season. Force India will thrive on knowing where they stand for once (assuming that Vijay sorts out the drivetrain soon). The rule changes promise interesting times.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle