collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 538
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Honda saved?  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Honda saved?
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:56:51 PM »
Last night a story was put out by the Italian paper La Stampa which has been picked up by several respectable outlets.  Carlos Slim who is responsible for the lad Piquet's continuing presence in F1 has put an offer in for Honda.  Intially the story was that it was a done deal although nothing official has been said.  This morning some people are damping down the story but it looks like one of the three richest men in the world is going to have an F1 team before long.

Offline Ian

Re: Honda saved?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »
Nice one Steven, lets hope it works out for Honda
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:10:52 PM »
I hope not - I still think DR is the best candidate to competently run the team...I hope Honda is considering that.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:29:01 PM »
According to Autosport the deal is not done yet, but it sure looks good for the team staying in F1. :yahoo:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72581
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:20:33 PM »
I hope DR gets it too.I think Carlos might be
wanting the team for a toy and a excuse to
be in the limelight
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 03:58:33 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:53:35 PM »
Yeah you are right Dare. Once upon a time the team was owned by another lot, BAR, who just wanted the limelight and treated it like a toy. DR injected sense and purpose then, so it looks like his outfit is the best choice for us fans now. The trouble is will Honda be looking to take the highest offer? :DntKnw:

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 11:54:42 PM »

Honda: Slim reports pure speculation

By Jonathan Noble Monday, December 29th 2008, on Autosport.com

Honda Racing chiefs Nick Fry and Ross Brawn say they remain fully focused on securing a buyout of their team by the end of January, after denying reports a deal had been completed with Mexican businessman Carlos Slim.

Stories emerging out of South America on Saturday, plus a report in Italian newspaper La Stampa, claimed that Slim had agreed a deal that would see him takeover Honda before the start of the season. It was suggested the team's drivers would be Jenson Button and Bruno Senna.

However, on the back of representatives of Slim denying outright a deal is in place, both Brawn and Fry say that the situation remains unchanged from before Christmas as they aim to resume negotiations with what are believed to be four interested parties in the New Year.

Speaking about the Slim buyout rumours, Brawn told The Daily Telegraph: "We would love it if it were true, but it's pure speculation from various members of the media. It's just been one of those rumours which has developed a life of its own."

Brawn added: "There has been a huge amount of interest. It's now got to the stage where we need to filter out the serious from the not so serious. We're all hopeful that something will happen and we're anxious to turn up the wick again in the new year."

Fry told autosport.com: "While it would be inappropriate to comment on any one potential purchaser of the team, Ross and I are very pleased with the level and calibre of interest in our team and we hope that we can bring this to a conclusion by the end of January. In the meantime, preparations for Melbourne continue."

The Mexican Escuderia Telmex, backed by Slim's company, also denied that a deal was in place for him to buy Honda in a statement issued on Saturday.

"Escuderia Telmex informs that Carlos Slim Helu has not acquired nor has any negotiations for this aim with the Honda Formula One team. All the information on this subject lacks foundation and is completely false."

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 08:46:30 PM »
Yeah you are right Dare. Once upon a time the team was owned by another lot, BAR, who just wanted the limelight and treated it like a toy. DR injected sense and purpose then, so it looks like his outfit is the best choice for us fans now. The trouble is will Honda be looking to take the highest offer? :DntKnw:

But according to their initial announcement, they were more interested in ensuring the longevity of the team and secure employment for as many of the employees as possible...they only wanted a "nominal" sum.  DR is sensible enough to know that he needs to secure long term sponsorship, not have to bother about piddly little things like the sale price.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »
I'm still hoping that Aguri Suzuki ends up with the team.

But then, I'm still hoping that the Cleveland Indians will win a World's Series. Their last series pennant was in 1948. :-[
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 02:49:02 PM »

But then, I'm still hoping that the Cleveland Indians will win a World's Series. Their last series pennant was in 1948. :-[

It's nearly that long since Honda won in F1 Cos. :( :'(

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 04:12:40 AM »
what i find curious is that this same interest in buying or 'saving' an existing F1 team was not all the talk when Super Best friends Aguri had to fold. why?  is the Honda garage and employee base that much better? not by the results of the last couple seasons. 

if there are 3 truly interested buyers, and only 1 is accepted, why wouldn't one of the other 2 look into buying Aguri? 

i'd like to see 22 cars on the grid again.. or 24 ... or 26  well you get the idea :)
hApPy tRaiLs

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 04:22:27 AM »
Wekcome to the site Bo,hope you
become a regular!!!

You raise some good points regarding
Honda,it seems they did everything they
could to make sure SA would be out of F1
making themselves ;) a life long enemy of Cos
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 05:27:54 AM »
thanks for the welcome Dare~
the frustration of being an F1 fan in the US and not having a voice, gives sites like this their lifeblood. we may not solve anything, or have answers to Bernie's silliness, but at least we can share and vent those frustrations.

Louisville? our son recently moved to Lexington! beautiful country there~
hApPy tRaiLs

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 01:22:08 PM »
Welcome Bo, good to have you with us and I hope you join in as a regular poster.

The Aguri team had a whole string of debts, including a huge bill with Honda, their facilities were what you would expect from a very low budget and I don't think they owned the base they operated from. They also operated a customer car chassis and engine. Sure Honda could and should have helped keep Aguri afloat longer, but sadly I think it would still have ended the same way.

Honda as a team on the other hand has really top facilities, including chassis design and manufacture and will come debt free, apart from the investment of the purchase, to the new owner. With a new car well advanced in the design stage for 09 this represents buying a potential mid pack or even front running team at a bargain price.

We can't overlook the new rules on engines which will make cosworth power plants available at an affordable price, if needed, and the apparent change of heart about the customer car regs which is allowing Force India to get the whole drivetrain from McLaren.

There is quite a difference in the two teams, and the circumstances now prevailing, from a new owners point of view.

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »
hi John S and thanks for the welcome.

terrific explanation of the difference between the Honda/Aguri situations. makes all the sense now.
appreciate it!

hApPy tRaiLs

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle