collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 158
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16164 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12995 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Engine rules changed  (Read 895 times)

TheStig

Engine rules changed
« on: January 18, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »
The FIA has dropped a requirement that Formula One engines should last for three successive races this coming season.

World motorsport's governing body kept the requirement in place last month when it announced that, as part of efforts to cut costs, each driver could use no more than eight engines in 2009.

However, Article 28.4 of the 2009 sporting regulations, posted on the FIA's website this week, makes no mention of engines having to be used in sequence.

"Each driver may use no more than eight engines during a championship season," the amended regulations declare.

"Should a driver use more than eight engines, he will drop 10 places on the starting grid at any event during which an additional engine is used."

An FIA spokesman confirmed the new rule would allow drivers to use their eight engines in whatever sequence they wished.

But a Ferrari spokesman said that some of the details concerning the application of penalties had still to be clarified.

In another change, Friday's practice sessions - which have assumed heightened importance now that in-season testing has been banned - also fall within the eight-engine rule.

Assuming they have not yet used their full quota, drivers will therefore not be penalised if they suffer an engine failure in practice either on Friday or Saturday morning.

However, should a driver suffer an engine failure during Saturday qualifying, parc ferme rules mean they will receive a grid penalty.

Drivers had to make their engines last for two races in a row last season or incur a 10-place penalty, although they were allowed one 'free' change.

The requirement for gearboxes to last four successive races remains in force.

There are 17 races this season, starting in Australia on March 29.

TheStig

Offline AJM

Re: Engine rules changed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:33:07 PM »
is it just me or do these new engine rules seem overly complicated?  :DntKnw:

I mean at least last year we knew that if you cnanged an engine before it had done 2 races and you didnt retire from the previous GP then you got a penalty

I can just picture a few FIA admin errors this season due to this

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »
I'm not sure if I really like the new engine rules, mainly because the grid penalties will all come at the end of the season if teams run out of engines.  I'm sure there will be adjustments if Ferrari goes through a bunch of engines early in the year, and even more so if they have trouble with their KERS (if BMW gets their way and KERS stays, that is) - isn't the KERS considered part of the engine change if it fails?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline johnbull

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 02:18:11 PM »
- isn't the KERS considered part of the engine change if it fails?

It depends on how many KERS failures Ferrari have.

I wonder what they're going to change the rules to next month ?

The whole thing is such a joke.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »
KERS is definitely not considered part of the engine, and may be changed as often as a team likes. However, it can't change the KERS unit in parc fermé under cover of recharging it for the night because the unit will be marked by the scrutineer.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle