collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 572
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: USF1 Team?  (Read 5044 times)

Offline cosworth151

USF1 Team?
« on: February 04, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »
A rumor has popped up around the F1 world about a possible new, US based F1 team.

Ken Anderson is said to be involved. He has worked in NASCAR, Cart, IRL and F1. His F1 resume include Onyx and Ligier. Over here, he worked with Penske and Chip Ganassi Racing. He designed the first G-Force IRL car that went on to win the 1997 Indy 500.

Peter Windsor is also said to be involved.

I've done a little nosing around. The general consensus seems to be that the team will be headquartered in the Lakeside Industrial Park in Mooresville, North Carolina. the site is home to many of the NASCAR teams, including Penske and Ganassi. The team will be working with the Windshear rolling road wind tunnel in nearby Concord, NC.

There is a web site, which just shows the team logo:

http://www.usf1.com/

It looks like the old US Air logo.

Now, if they can just hook up with the new Cosworth engine.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

Re: USF1 Team?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 03:04:04 PM »
Autosport and others reported it this morning.  It will be interesting to see how someone can run a team from the US and whether this leads to the return of the GP.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »
Stuart Codling the deputy editor of F1Racing called Peter Windsor and he said this story sounds like the product of a slow news day.

Offline leather12

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »
i'm more than sceptical, no easy money, bad times, US also struggling with money issues...I can't see it happen Mr Obama having declared protectionistic way of handling the crisis

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »
I can't see it happen Mr Obama having declared protectionistic way of handling the crisis

What?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 04:24:02 PM »
I can't see it happen Mr Obama having declared protectionistic way of handling the crisis

What?

It seems the President is insisting all the steel and materials used in the infastructure projects he has authuorised to beat the credit crunch must be come from USA. This is making the World News, isn't it on your domestic News?
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »
It wasn't President Obama. That was added in the Senate by Senator Byron Dorgan of North Dakota, and supported by almost all senate Republicans. It was put in at the behest of business groups, such as the U.S Business and Industry Council.

Without such a provision, the entire stimulus package would most likely be filibustered by the Republicans.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 08:22:35 PM »
Still, the result is that the rest of the world has to endure the economics that the US banks created, and on top of it are locked out of the largest market in the world as they struggle to stay afloat as well.  Not very friendly when the US is the first to cry foul whenever they are locked out of a market.

I thought the Dems control the senate too?  They can kill off a filibuster pretty quickly if they are.  Why is anyone paying attention to the Republicans?  Surely Republicans are going broke these days too - would they really allow it to be filibustered anyhow?  Seems insane in the current climate.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »
It takes 60 votes (out of 100 Senators) to stop a filibuster. There are currently 58 Dems, 41 Republicans and one (Minn.) pending. Add to that, many of the Dems are from steel producing states, like Ohio and Pennsylvania.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »
I guess the republicans want to do everything they can to hinder Obama's internationalist instincts.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 05:46:25 AM »
The Republicans want to do anything they can to hinder Mr. Obama, period. They still believe Mr. Bush was a hero in the war on terrorism and resent the way he was dismissed by the majority of Americans. The key word in American politics is PETTY. Be petty and obstructionist when you don't have the power.
Lonny

FW14B

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »
Interesting insight into US politics, thanks for that guys, really good stuff to read!

As for the USF1 team idea, I do not see it happening, as I read somewhere if the idea was serious it would have shown an interest in the Honda F1 team as that is such a good value option, although if they do want to base the team in the US then i guess that would not be possible.  It would be interesting and I guess it would be an attempt to get the USGP back.  Just I really do not see it happening and would many current F1 drivers want to up sticks and move to the US from their tax havens in Europe?  I would like to see a brand new team though, it is always quite exciting to see it take shape and then race.

Offline leather12

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 08:42:25 AM »
for me this is just unfair like USA has always been

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 01:44:14 PM »
Autoblog claims to have known about the team for over a month.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/04/usf1-exclusive-the-pitch-behind-the-american-f1-team/

― Bob Dylan

Offline leather12

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 02:34:13 PM »
that's an interesting piece of journalism...I never saw something that innocent about F1....F1 is a monster that eat everything up, and you need to be huge anoracks to stay whatever they do on board...
With the small entrance fee as constructor it simply defies imagination to spend that amount when they can have Honda almost for free now..
American technology....big laugh, they are dinosaurs compared to us unless it's entered by the Nasa, we have the genes of F1 ( the new word of the year)  and so much seasons of trial and errors that I don't see anything coming from there..
I'm use'd to watch american races too, and I enjoy it but it's not really up to our standards, they don't drive in the rain..it takes 20 laps to get rid of a car...and in endurance they wait for Audi porsche and Honda so so
PS I'm not a negativist, I love motorsport and want the best for it ..take it more as frustration than anything else

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle