collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 138
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13026 Posts
John S John S
11301 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: MotoGP to axe Friday practice in 2010  (Read 1183 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
MotoGP to axe Friday practice in 2010
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »

F1 is not the only one to have to slash costs in the current financial climate. But it is good to see the authourities in MotoGP discuss and listen to the teams about rule and championship changes.

Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta expects MotoGP events to become two-day meetings from 2010, as part of the next round of cost-cutting measures that the teams will discuss later this month.

Ezpeleta has confirmed that the 2010 changes will be agreed during the Jerez test that takes place next weekend.

Friday morning sessions have already been cancelled for this season, but all track activity on the current opening day is set to cease next year. In addition, Ezpeleta expects spare bikes to be banned and a rule introduced to encourage promising rookie riders to start with private teams.

"At Jerez, during the tests, we'll meet to decide the 2010 regulations," he was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.

"We'll surely cancel Fridays, which will be dedicated to promotional activity. There won't be spare bikes anymore, and we'll talk about the possibility of using the same engine for three races.

"The rule whereby rookies can't join a works team is also likely to be approved."

But one measure that won't take place is the introduction of a class championship for the non-factory bikes.

"I thought I could help by giving them official recognition," said Ezpeleta. "For a team like Gresini's, to be able to say 'we are privateers world champions' could have been something important to pitch to sponsors.

"But they told me it would look like a demotion to secondary league, so I accept this criticism. It won't get done."

Ezpeleta is confident that the rules changes will help MotoGP stay healthy through the economic downturn.

"We don't know how long the crisis will last, and 2010 could be even tougher," he said. "But I have faith in the strength of this sport. I'm almost certain that next year we'll have 20 riders on the track out of a maximum which I feel should be 22."

He rejected criticism that MotoGP had not responded to the crisis as rapidly or effectively as Formula 1.

"I won't judge the latest moves, they must have their own reasons," said Ezpeleta. "But if there's anyone who's done well and (acted) quickly in facing the crisis, then it's the bike world, thanks to the agreement between us, the federation, and the manufacturers.

"The others can regulate themselves the way they see fit, but I think in the end it will be them looking up at what we did."

By Michele Lostia and Matt Beer Autosport.com

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

Re: MotoGP to axe Friday practice in 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:41:16 PM »
Why are they banning works teams from signing rookies?  I don't get that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle