collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 578
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso slams 'ridiculous' tyre choice  (Read 3848 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Alonso slams 'ridiculous' tyre choice
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:41:41 AM »
Ferd may just have a point, I know I was suprised by the choice of super soft for the China track. Could have a big affect on Quali as some boys may run very light to try to get track position after a big sprint and an early pit stop.

Oh and from Ferd's remark right at the end I think he has been looking at the Wiz's thread on ideas to help Max cripple F1, I wonder what name he logs on under? ;)

Double world champion Fernando Alonso is 'very worried' about Bridgestone's decision to bring super-soft compounds as the option tyre for this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix, the Spaniard saying it is entirely unsuited to the abrasive nature of the Shanghai circuit.

The Renault driver claims that the use of the tyre makes the drivers 'look ridiculous' because of the time differential between the option and prime rubber - which was as much as six seconds when the super-soft and hard tyres were used in Australia.

"I think it is the worst decision they made in a long time, because it is a ridiculous tyre for here, for Shanghai," he said.

"I don't know if Bridgestone made the decision or the FIA, but they have to reconsider this type of decision because we look ridiculous on television and we look ridiculous for the spectators, and it is a joke to be in front of TV six seconds slower.

"We will need to change the tyres after five or six laps, is our calculation, because this track is harder than Melbourne and there we only did eight or nine laps.

"And if they want to be funny and mix the results and have overtaking, they can do a better job – a funny solution, maybe they can put us on the wet tyres or something. Like this it looks more spectacular – the difference in the speed. I don't know...

"I'm very worried about this and I'm very sad about this, because we look strange in front of people."

Alonso also revealed that the drivers have not been consulted on which tyres should be used, and added that the Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) expressed their fears over safety on the issue following the Australian Grand Prix, when Robert Kubica and Sebastian Vettel collided while contesting second place.

"We expressed our concerns after Australia, after the accident of Robert Kubica and Sebastian Vettel – it was due to the difference of the speed," he said.

"He (Kubica) tried to overtake, Vettel was not in control of the car with that tyre, you cannot brake, you cannot turn-in, you cannot do anything. And then Robert had a big crash after that because he damaged the car.

"Then we expressed our concerns and now in the third race we have the same tyre at a worse circuit. This is something that we need to change immediately."

Alonso added that he considered both the super-soft and the hard tyres to be unsuited to Shanghai.

"I think the super-soft on this type of circuit with long, high-speed corners... in Turn 1 it will be destroyed and in Turn 10 there will be no more left tyre.

"One will be too hard and one will be too soft. The right tyre is at home! The soft tyre is at home, and this happened in Australia as well. And the understanding that this is for a better show, for overtaking...

"As I said, for a better show, maybe we can pick up our number and then whoever picks up number 15 can put on wet tyres, or whatever, and it is a better show and it's funny. Like this it is not funny."

By Jonathan Noble and Simon Strang, today Autosport.com

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:48:56 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Alonso slams 'ridiculous' tyre choice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »
Maybe I'm not following the right news, this is the first I've heard of the Kubica/Vettel crash being caused by tire selection.

If Alonso's right though (it could happen...), then they really do need to rethink the 2 level tire selection.

Offline Number 38

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 02:43:21 PM »
For Jericoke: I was watching live timing at the time of the Vettel / Kucica incident. Vettel was loosing .5 secs per lap to Button, Kubica was gaining 2 sec per lap on Vettel ..... there was little doubt Vettel's tyres were giving up and after the incident he apologized to this team (via radio) "I lost it, I'm sorry."  He tried his best but the two tyre options are a farce and this is the result. A bigger farce is why he got a penalty for what was nothing but a mere racing incident. If this were Sutil and Beumi on lap 16 do you really think there
would have been a penalty? 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 02:50:37 PM »
For Jericoke: I was watching live timing at the time of the Vettel / Kucica incident. Vettel was loosing .5 secs per lap to Button, Kubica was gaining 2 sec per lap on Vettel ..... there was little doubt Vettel's tyres were giving up and after the incident he apologized to this team (via radio) "I lost it, I'm sorry."  He tried his best but the two tyre options are a farce and this is the result. A bigger farce is why he got a penalty for what was nothing but a mere racing incident. If this were Sutil and Beumi on lap 16 do you really think there
would have been a penalty? 

I knew that the tires were slowing Vettel down, I didn't realise there were such severe control issues. 

I was under the impression that the penalty was for running with only three wheels and body work falling off.  (Although isn't that what a black flag is for?)  I don't blame him for doing that, Schumacher got away with it.

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:53:43 PM »
For once I find myself actually agreeing with Fernando, hmmm, must make an appointment with the shrink.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:34:42 AM »

the real problem to me is having ONE supplier of tyres

b stoooopid idea
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »
For once I find myself actually agreeing with Fernando, hmmm, must make an appointment with the shrink.

No worries, Ian. Ferd mouths off so much that he's bound to say something correct evey so often. Even a clock that has stopped is right twice a day!  :good:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:12:14 PM »

b stoooopid idea

I agree in principal SennaMan, but it does make the grid game a little easier for us. ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 03:06:02 PM »

b stoooopid idea

I don't really remember the tire war creating better racing.  One supplier was better than the other, or would focus on one particular scarlet team and the racing became secondary to having the right tire contract.

I would like to see the teams choosing the two compounds, rather than the tire company.  Sure, 9 times out of 10 they'll all pick the same, but sometimes a team will get it right where everyone else is wrong.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 07:39:42 PM »
I say bring all 4 and let the teams decide which 2 work for them. Interestingly, the Brawn seems to be very easy on it's tires. Button seemed to lose the least time on the supersofts in OZ.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 07:49:01 PM »
I say bring all 4 and let the teams decide which 2 work for them. Interestingly, the Brawn seems to be very easy on it's tires. Button seemed to lose the least time on the supersofts in OZ.

The whole point in having only two to choose from was to save transportation costs.  Most teams would be happy being able to choose weeks ahead.

I don't really remember the tire war creating better racing.  One supplier was better than the other, or would focus on one particular scarlet team and the racing became secondary to having the right tire contract.

I would like to see the teams choosing the two compounds, rather than the tire company.  Sure, 9 times out of 10 they'll all pick the same, but sometimes a team will get it right where everyone else is wrong.

No kidding.  I remember one team being able to make a tire that can take a banked curve, another that couldn't, resulting in 6 cars toodling around Indy for a couple of hours, one driver so bored he thought he might change the outcome of the race just for fun.

I remember entire seasons dominated by one tire supplier.  It didn't seem to matter what the engineers did to the cars, if they were on the wrong tires, they may as well call it a day.

Seriously though, I also think the teams should be able to choose the compounds they want to.  Bridgestone's just going to bring what they have the most of in the warehouse. They've already complained that in practice the super-softs are graining badly.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:30:33 AM by ScottyD »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 12:35:59 AM »
Remember the 60's tires would last several
races. :good:
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »
Forcing cars to run two different compounds was a stupid idea in the first place and the latest modification just made it worse.

You would think someone would point out to Bridgestone that it would be slightly more sensible to put the green lines on the harder tyre instead of the one that is trashed in 5 laps.  I laugh every time we see the cars go into the pits or at the end of the session.  Cars with trashed tyres with green lines to show how environmentally friendly they are and next to the tyre is a basket of solid carbon dioxide to cool the brakes. 

Only in F1 could people be dumb enough to put green stripes on soft tyres to highlight environmental concerns while pouring CO2 into the atmosphere.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 10:00:01 PM »
I would have thought that the whole point of having one tyre supplier would be that he produces a cheap, reliable, control tyre that's the same for everyone, and lasts at least one whole race.

The fact that there are multiple tyres defeats the object of having one supplier completely.

If Bridgestone produced one hard compound dry weather slick for everyone and guaranteed that it wouldn't change throughout the season then costs would go down, reliability would go up, we would see more close racing, and everybody would know what's happening.

But that would be too much like common sense. :fool:
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 01:27:46 AM »
I don't think they can make a tire hard enough to last a whole race without the drivers all whining that they have no grip, and it's dangerous to run slipping and sliding around. :DntKnw:

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle