collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 621
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Who's job is it????  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Scott

Who's job is it????
« on: April 20, 2009, 02:51:31 PM »
When you have an Austrian team on the podium, collecting constructor points, shouldn't the hosts/promoters/FOM/FIA pay attention to play the national anthem of Austria??

Doesn't matter that the car is built in GB, or that most of the employees are from GB.  The cash comes from Austria, so someone should pay attention.  This would be a minor gaff except that it was the first Red Bull win, and I think they were pretty keen to hear it.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

Re: Who's job is it????
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:54:40 PM »
I think your right Scotty.Do you remember what
anthem they played when STR won last year?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:00:39 PM »
Um, it does matter where the car was built.

They don't play the German anthem when McLaren wins.

Shell is a Dutch company, they don't play the Dutch anthem when Ferrari wins (though that seems unlikely to come up in the near future...)

I don't remember what they played when Renault won, but I'm pretty sure it's God Save the Queen too.

Besides, Red Bull's biggest market is probably the USA, so that's where RBR's money really comes from.

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 03:04:45 PM »
I'm fairly sure they played the French anthem
when Renault won.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »
Um, it does matter where the car was built.

They don't play the German anthem when McLaren wins.

Shell is a Dutch company, they don't play the Dutch anthem when Ferrari wins (though that seems unlikely to come up in the near future...)

I don't remember what they played when Renault won, but I'm pretty sure it's God Save the Queen too.

Besides, Red Bull's biggest market is probably the USA, so that's where RBR's money really comes from.

No it doesn't.  They play the British anthem because Mclaren is the manufacturer (not Merc).  Shell is a sponsor, not a team owner.  It doesn't matter what engine is in the car, where the car was built, where most of the employees are from, nor who their biggest market is.  The anthem is of the country from where the owners want it to be (I don't think Toyota or Honda would want the German or GB anthems played either even though not much more than the stickers and a few engineers come from Japan), and since they are ponying up the dough to fund the team (through the sponsors, which they found), it should be observed and respected.

It was only tongue in cheek for a comment, but the point being that the FIA comes down hard on everyone when the teeniest little rule is not observed, yet when they have a screwup that annoys anyone else, they don't may much attention.   

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:44:30 PM »
So the rule is whoever signs the official entry form picks the anthem?

Works for me.

Learning a lot about F1 here!

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »
I must admit Scotty that I was surprised when God Save the Queen played out during the podium celebrations.  I guess Mateschitz is not so bothered about the national aspect as opposed to having massive Red Bull logos on the podium.  STR had the Italian anthem so I guess he just lets his teams pick. 

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
I know this is getting picky but Red Bull is where the money comes from and that is a Global company with Comany Registrations in many countries all over the world.
The team is British and is a continuation from the original registration (I assume as Stewart?)

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:08:09 AM »
The original story I read about this mentioned that Marko (talent scout and official sidekick to Dieter) was looking forward to hearing his National Anthem in China after Vettel won, and was disappointed to get the GB one instead.  So whoever started the team (Stewart - Ford) doesn't to make a difference either.  The Team is run as a marketing arm of Red Bull, a company founded in Austria by an Austrian, and they expect the Austrian anthem to be played when they win. 

Most of the grid are companies registered registered all over the world, but that doesn't matter either.

Point is, everyone expected the Austrian anthem to be played, but the FIA/FOM/Promoters messed up.  Certainly for their next win we will all hear the Austrian anthem played. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 12:49:10 PM »
This reminds me of the story about first time Jordan won a Grand Prix. Eddie was livid when they played "God Save the Queen." He insisted, quite rightly, that Jordan was an Irish team, not a British one!

Didn't they play the Italian anthem when STR won last year?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 12:57:42 PM »
Still being picky but the other teams are not 'Global', their sponsors may be but the teams are not. The Red Bull team is quite unusual because the team is named after the Sponsor. However, the Red Bull team is registered in the UK (at the moment).
Other teams are more clear-cut. The Toyota team is registered in Japan (although it is based in Cologne), Ferrari has always been registered in Italy, even when the factory was in the UK.

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 01:01:50 PM »
Anyway who wants to hear Eidelweis at the end of a GP?

(I am joking, I know that isn't the anthem) :D

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »
It's the organiser's responsibility to make sure the correct music for any possible winner is available. This appears to have not happened in this case - most likely because the tape wasn't there at the right time. Maybe they should have gone on the Internet and downloaded an anthem... ...oh wait a minute, the Great Firewall of China is probably in the way.

Something tells me the Bahraini organisers won't make the same mistake, which is just as well as a Red Bull victory is entirely possible.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 02:46:53 PM »

The anthem is of the country from where the owners want it to be (I don't think Toyota or Honda would want the German or GB anthems played either even though not much more than the stickers and a few engineers come from Japan), and since they are ponying up the dough to fund the team (through the sponsors, which they found), it should be observed and respected.

So they should really play the Japanese anthem for a Brawn win seeing it was Honda "ponying up" for all the manufacture of the car.  ;) :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 02:59:06 PM »
What anthem would they play if Toyota wins?

We may never, ever find out!  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle