collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 540
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: ACO Invites F1 Teams  (Read 2821 times)

Online cosworth151

ACO Invites F1 Teams
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:20:54 PM »
The governing body of Le Mans has turned up the pressure on Max & the FIA.
ACO chief Remy Brouard has stated that Le Mans would welcome any of the current F1 teams into their series, and would be happy to let them have a voice in the rules making process.

Also, the honorary starter for this week-end's 24 hour race is Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo. Ferrari has already spoken of Le Mans as a possible substitute for F1.

I can remember that, up until the late 190's and early 1980's, Sports Endurance racing was the equal of F1 in prestige.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: ACO Invites F1 Teams
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »
Cos, you can remember the 190's?  Wow man, you're older than you are letting on.  :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 06:28:27 PM »
Cos, you can remember the 190's?  Wow man, you're older than you are letting on.  :P

I felt that way last night. I was watching the movie "Le Mans" and realized that the race in the movie was 39 years ago!  :swoon:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 06:41:33 PM »
I thought Le Mans was facinating this year. I missed a few hours early n and three hours in the morning when I fell asleep in front of my computer but it was close all the way.  Shame Peugeot did a Ferrari and realeased one of their cars straight into the path of the customer Peugeot and Audi had problems with a couple of their cars.  Would have been facinating to have 6 competitive cars to the end.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 07:48:28 AM »
Classic. The Peugeots appeared to be faster on the straight while the Audis were quicker in the corners. The team lollipop man certainly failed by releasing the #7, but it was just bad luck they got a puncture and ripped the car up going 8 miles back to the pits. Great race, I have loved LeMans since I saw my first GT40.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 02:05:22 PM »
ACO chief Remy Brouard has stated that Le Mans would welcome any of the current F1 teams into their series, and would be happy to let them have a voice in the rules making process.

I can remember that, up until the late 1970's and early 1980's, Sports Endurance racing was the equal of F1 in prestige.

Wow, Ferrari really wants to put their eggs in the basket of an organisation that was once the equal of F1, and is now barely a footnote in the eyes of a public?  FIA may not be doing things right, but it's hard to say that ACO is doing things better.

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
I think you will find that endurance races such as LeMans are not merely a footnote to the race fans of Europe. There it is as well loved as F1 just not promoted as well over on this side of the pond.

Many manufacturers spend untold millions on developing cars to race Le Mans that do not want, or feel the need to be, involved in F1.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 09:47:08 PM »
I think you will find that endurance races such as LeMans are not merely a footnote to the race fans of Europe. There it is as well loved as F1 just not promoted as well over on this side of the pond.

Many manufacturers spend untold millions on developing cars to race Le Mans that do not want, or feel the need to be, involved in F1.

The F1 manufacturers already feel that F1 doesn't do a great job in North America.  And there is plenty of endurance racing here. 

As for the 'untold millions', I'm betting that it's on the order of Max's cap.  In fact... I wonder why Max didn't spell out the reasons for his cap.  Well, aside from the obvious that it was pulled out his...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 07:16:24 AM »
I doubt that the Peugeot V12 turbo diesel is a great deal cheaper than any F1 car. And the expense of building at least 4 of them and campaigning them with full crews and 3 drivers per car is probably astronomical. Winning LeMans is serious business in Europe. Porsche won't build a P1 car because it would have to be a diesel and they don't do diesels. It's really very hi tech and for me fascinating.

Lonny
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 01:06:28 PM »
The one place they do save money is travel. Not having half the season run in the far corners of the world (in front of mostly empty seats) must be a great savings!  ;)

Le Mans racing does have a variety of technology that has been sadly missing from F1 for the past decade and a half. The film Truth in 24 points out that one can tell which car is approaching just by the sound. A V8 'Vette, a V12 Ferrari, a Porsche boxer 6 and an Audi TDI all sound vastly different. I can remember when the same could be said of a Cosworth V8, a Ferrari flat 12, etc.

I know that Le Mans needs to level the playing field between diesels and gas engines, but it's still a great series.
― Bob Dylan

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 01:23:07 PM »

I have loved Le Mans for close on 60 years - real cars driven by real men over an insane distance/time

it is the oldest motor race still going, for good reasons

the race in the 1950's was more popular than the fledgling F1

stuff of legends and as cossie points out part of its tremendous appeal is competing cars are drawn from a wide variety of engine layouts - the different sounds and looks of the cars is heaven for petrolheads
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 04:08:19 AM »
Believe the Indy 500 might be a tick older than LeMans, but these days not nearly as interesting.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 11:43:46 AM »
Believe the Indy 500 might be a tick older than LeMans, but these days not nearly as interesting.

Lonny

yeah Lonny, the indy first took place in 1911 whereas Le Mans began in 1923

[thanks mate - I should have written the oldest "sportscar endurance race".]
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

david1275

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 11:56:38 AM »

Le Mans racing does have a variety of technology that has been sadly missing from F1 for the past decade and a half. The film Truth in 24 points out that one can tell which car is approaching just by the sound. A V8 'Vette, a V12 Ferrari, a Porsche boxer 6 and an Audi TDI all sound vastly different. I can remember when the same could be said of a Cosworth V8, a Ferrari flat 12, etc.

Good point Cos, Variety of design and power train is sadly missing from F1. I think if the regs allowed the teams to design the cars the way they wanted within a set of parameters that did not limited design freedom, this would be very interesting.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 12:41:26 AM »

Good point Cos, Variety of design and power train is sadly missing from F1. I think if the regs allowed the teams to design the cars the way they wanted within a set of parameters that did not limited design freedom, this would be very interesting.

That's what the FIA proposed... within a cap.  The FOTA chose heavily regulated designs instead.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle