collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 240
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16166 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12999 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: FOTA teams call off breakaway series  (Read 599 times)

david1275

FOTA teams call off breakaway series
« on: June 24, 2009, 10:26:33 PM »
It's all over, F1 is as we know it is safe for now, Max's 40mill budget cap is scrapped, and Max is not standing for re-election. Looks like we will never see what the breakaway series would have brought, but I can live with that even if it was mildly exciting.

By Edd Straw and Jonathan Noble Autosport.com

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) will officially call off its plans for a rival championship tomorrow after reaching a breakthrough deal with the FIA.

Following last-ditch talks between FIA president Max Mosley, FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, an agreement was reached that commits the teams to the sport until 2012.

FOTA members had been set to press ahead with breakaway plans in the meeting in Bologna tomorrow, but following its victory in getting the FIA and Ecclestone to agree to terms that keeps its eight members in F1, it will now rubber stamp final cost-cutting regulations for 2010 and call off its breakaway instead.

The deal between the FIA and FOTA was confirmed on Wednesday afternoon, when the FIA announced that its planned budget cap for 2010 had been scrapped, and instead FOTA-proposed cost-cutting regulations will be introduced.

In a bid to help new teams, technical assistance will be offered to Campos Meta, Manor Grand Prix and Team US F1 by major outfits.

The FIA statement said: "As part of this agreement, the teams will, within two years, reduce the costs of competing in the championship to the level of the early 1990s.

"The manufacturer teams have agreed to assist the new entries for 2010 by providing technical assistance."

As part of the deal with FOTA, the teams' association has agreed to recognise the FIA's position as the sport's governing body, adding that a new Concorde Agreement has been agreed in principle to keep all of the teams in F1 to 2012 and, upon re-negotiation, it is hoped beyond.

"The manufacturer teams have further agreed to the permanent and continuing role of the FIA as the sport's governing body," added the statement. "They have also committed to the commercial arrangements for the FIA Formula 1 World Championship until 2012 and have agreed to renegotiate and extend this contract before the end of that period.

"All teams will adhere to an upgraded version of the governance provisions of the 1998 Concorde Agreement."

Furthermore, with it clear that FOTA is not trying to usurp the FIA's authority, FIA president Max Mosley has agreed to not stand for re-election in October.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:36:02 PM by david1275 »

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
Re: FOTA teams call off breakaway series
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 04:37:08 AM »

poor ole Max, surely he knew the "Golden Rule"?

"The rules are made by those who have the gold to ensure they continue getting the gold. Whomsoever stands in their way of recieving more gold shall be removed forthwith."

so long ya mug - and good riddance!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »
I'm happy for peace, but was looking forward to new technical regs next season.

I can certainly appreciate why anyone with deep pockets and a rich heritage would hate a balance system, but I do like the idea of forcing teams to be creative!

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:38:30 AM »
I'm happy for peace, but was looking forward to new technical regs next season.

I can certainly appreciate why anyone with deep pockets and a rich heritage would hate a balance system, but I do like the idea of forcing teams to be creative!

i understand where you are coming from Jeri but my take on F1 is that since May 1994 where both roland and ayrton died at San Remo, one negative result of the regulations has been the supression of the teams' creativity and technical innovation, all under the banner of safety and uniformity

no rational person would stop safety precautions for drivers and spectators, however, the increasing rigidity of the regulations has prevented individual teams from being original - look at the kerfuffle BRAWN's diffusers created this year and previously RENAULT's mass dampeners and FERRARI's movable floor and various teams' flexible wings, all of which were ruled illegal.

many of the teams objected to the diffusers on the grounds it breached the very "spirit" of the regulations and it took an FIA ruling to actually clear it

historically the teams do not need much encouragement to gain any advantage they can even if they do breach and break current regulations

i, for one example, would love to see teams once again being alllowed to design different engines within the allowed maximum engine capacity

and like you Jeri i am all for peace and stability; the last few years have had far too much controversy for me - let's get back to the fabulous racing

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:50:00 AM by SennaMan »
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle