collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 551
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: So Fuji is out!!  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Andy B

So Fuji is out!!
« on: July 07, 2009, 02:54:56 PM »
Is Fuji going to be the only track to drop by the way side?
With all the tracks out there that want an F1 weekend who would you like to see there and please not more Turkey's (pun intended)
I'de like to see Silverstone and Donnington on the schedule as I believe the UK can fill both. Canada and the U.S. back too.
But do you have a track of old that you would like to see revitalised. :good:

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

Re: So Fuji is out!!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »
What makes an ideal F1 track?

Obviously a mix of twists and turns with high speed straights should satisfy most fans.

I should think a race that's on at a good time for the core audience would be ideal.  Given the TV ratings of Canada, US and Brazil, I'd say that races from the Americas would be desirable.  Bernie even recognised how important Brazil was, making it the last race of the season during evening TV viewing.

I appreciate that Bernie has been trying to grow the F1 brand in countries without a core audience.  Will the people of Turkey, Malaysia or Singapore ever become F1 fans without a chance to see it up close?  The same, of course, is to be said of the USA.

What's more important to F1 right now... a race at a good time for TV viewers?  A race at a good location that will be filled to capacity?  A great track for spectacle?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »
I think the Japanese race will revert to Suzuka, which is a much better track than Fuji. It's an odd situation, since Fuji's owner, Toyota, is still in F1. Suzuka's owner, Honda, is out.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 04:25:46 PM »
I think the Japanese race will revert to Suzuka, which is a much better track than Fuji. It's an odd situation, since Fuji's owner, Toyota, is still in F1. Suzuka's owner, Honda, is out.

Actually, it makes sense... it spreads the risk.  Toyota can afford to lose money with an F1 team, but surely not an F1 team and an F1 track.

Similarly Honda is only taking a (possible) hit once a year, instead of every single race.

david1275

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:27:28 PM »
Suzuka without a doubt, if only for turn 15 one of the best corners on a race circuit in the world.

Offline mrkjf

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 07:29:32 AM »
Is Fuji going to be the only track to drop by the way side?
With all the tracks out there that want an F1 weekend who would you like to see there and please not more Turkey's (pun intended)
I'de like to see Silverstone and Donnington on the schedule as I believe the UK can fill both. Canada and the U.S. back too.
But do you have a track of old that you would like to see revitalised. :good:
Fuji isnt a good track anyway so who cares as long as we get a better one.
Mrkjf

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 04:35:34 PM »

I would love to see Spa brought back into the F1 calendar
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »

It is. The race there will be on 30 August this year.  :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 09:44:12 PM »

Go back to sleep, Sennaman. :yahoo: :yahoo: :fool: :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 05:47:23 PM »

oops, you are so right cossie and JB - it is almost 3 am here too - have been burning too much candle - and it is showing  :crazy:

hey, but happy one of the best cicuits has been retained!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 08:00:53 PM »
Spa does seem to drop off the calender every two or three years.

I haven't heard if Suzuka has said it will fill the void left by Fuji. We've all assumed it would, but it could be like Germany. Hockenheim is pulling out and Nurburgring doesn't want to take over the date unless Bernie lowers his fee.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 08:19:40 PM »
Spa does seem to drop off the calender every two or three years.

I haven't heard if Suzuka has said it will fill the void left by Fuji. We've all assumed it would, but it could be like Germany. Hockenheim is pulling out and Nurburgring doesn't want to take over the date unless Bernie lowers his fee.

How did Suzuka end up losing the race to Fuji in the first place?

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »

How did Suzuka end up losing the race to Fuji in the first place?

Probably like usual - highest bidder to Bernie
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 11:19:56 PM »
I just had a thought... tracks aren't keen on losing a pile of cash year over year, but don't seem to mind doing it once in a while.

Why not put all F1 eligible tracks into a rotating calender?  There's probably about 25 tracks that could host an F1 race, right?  They can share the costs a little more evenly, and Bernie gets to keep charging his ridiculous fees.

There's 17 races a year still, and if your race doesn't come up this year, it will next year.

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »
The only reason the tracks lose money is Bernies greed.
That has always been the issue with Silverstone. They refused to pay Bernie more money than they could make in gate money, trade pitches and corporate income. I think that is called 'good business'.
Fuji and Suzuka could run with losses because they were being sponsored by their owners. The new tracks are all being sponsored by local or national governments. It's about time Bernie reduced his demands to commercially affordable levels.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle