collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 583
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Toyota unlikely to retain Trulli  (Read 5184 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Toyota unlikely to retain Trulli
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:36:31 PM »

Trulli says it's not about money, just what else can the reasonably large gap be? Lack of result I would suggest.

Toyota team president John Howett says the Japanese squad is unlikely to renew Jarno Trulli's contract after not reaching an agreement following initial talks.

"We are in negotiation (with Trulli) and we haven't reached an agreement and there is a possibility that we won't close the gap," Howett told Reuters after qualifying for the European Grand Prix.

"At the moment the gap is reasonably large. We have to say there is a very strong probability not (to renew)."

Howett, whose team has an option on Timo Glock, made it clear that Toyota is ready to wait for the driver market to move before making any decisions.

"To be honest it looks like the driver market will be opened up quite significantly," he said.

"It was said by three or four teams in the press conference and we are waiting to see if the rumours are correct of Alonso [to Ferrari] and how that affects the current line-up, and what the position will be for the BMW drivers, etc, everybody will wait to see and we will see quite a lot of movement."

Trulli said after qualifying in Valencia that money was not an issue in the negotiations, although at the same time he suggested the team was looking at cutting costs.

"Money has never been an issue," he said. "I understand the position of the team, on many things. At the moment there is a lot of cost-cutting.

"I do believe the driver has to play his role in this and I am more than happy to... for me this is not only a team but a family. So I understand that we need to save the team and save the people who work in it."

"So a cut in the budget and, let's say a cut in my budget, this is not a problem. I need to understand what the team wants."

When asked if the number of drivers available made things harder for him, he said: "It depends what the Toyota team wants to do. It is not really in my hands. All I can do is my best, which is what I have always done.

"The rest I think we can always talk with the team and understand what they want, because eventually maybe they are not happy about me, I have no idea. I don't know. We didn't talk about money."

The Italian veteran also dismissed suggestions that the key to the market was Fernando Alonso's rumoured move to Ferrari.

"I don't think Fernando is the key," he said. "I think that the teams in general are looking at the economics problem. They are all waiting to understand what they can do for next year, what their budgets are, whether they will make a move. At the moment it is hard."

Trulli still admitted he remains hopeful he will be in Formula 1 next year.

"I hope so, but in confident in this economic crisis... nothing is sure. If you look back over the last year it is a disaster. Honda has pulled out, BMW has pulled out, and probably they will not be the only one."

By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde, Autosport

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Toyota unlikely to retain Trulli
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:47:13 PM »
I hope they take Heidfeld.  I still think he deserves a drive next year more than Kubica.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 08:53:25 PM »
I hope they take back Kaz when they stop sending their engines to Williams... 

Online Dare

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 08:58:16 PM »
I hope they retain Trulli or he at least finds
a new team
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »

That's a good point - why wouldn't they?  He's doing a helluva job.  Best japanese racer in history I'd say.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 09:33:43 PM »
I would Trulli miss Jarno.

Lonny
Lonny

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 09:44:40 PM »

That's a good point - why wouldn't they?  He's doing a helluva job.  Best japanese racer in history I'd say.

He's not really doing that good a job, it is not just bad luck he has not gotten a single point this season whereas Rosberg has 25.5.  Something somewhere is just not up there with the better F1 drivers.  I do wonder though given the current 'climate' if having a Japanese driver in the Toyota would be a better thing for the board to stomach.  I hope so.  Then Hulkenberg should get a seat in the Williams next year along with whoever else they get, as the noises coming from Rosberg seem to suggest it is more likely right now he'll be going.

Still, it is bad luck for Jarno, I like him a lot, he seems one of the nicer drivers.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »
I hope they take Heidfeld.  I still think he deserves a drive next year more than Kubica.

I'd be inclined to pick Heidfeld over Kubica.  However, I was surprised when McLaren took Kimi over Heidfeld, and still stand by that.

Heidfeld and Kubica will both race next year, and I'm sure the best seat will go to the driver with the best manager.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »
I'd like to see Jarno get out of the Toy and into a competitive car. He's always been a favorite of mine.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »
Sounds like Toy might not retain anyone.

FW14B

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 04:56:58 PM »
If the rumours are true, then yeah, it seems two more drivers could be on the market.  Does make sense of a story I read recently saying the FIA might be confirming two new teams given BMW's withdrawal.  I'd post a link to the story but I cannot remember which website I found it on.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 05:34:42 PM »
If Toyota leaves quickly enough, maybe they can get some Cash For Clunkers money.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 05:42:31 PM »
They're already getting tons...most Americans are replacing their Detroit iron with Toyota tin.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »
I just check U.S. News & World Report. As of yesterday (22 Aug) the largest selling car in the program was the Ford Focus. The Big Three accounted for 47% of the cars sold under the program, followed by Japan, South Korea and Germany. Of the top selling models, 4 were American, 5 Japanese and 1 South Korean.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Didn't you know that News & World is the same as News OF THE World?   :P :P

I read somewhere (sorry, can't think of where exactly) that Toyota was the most popular make of the Clunkers for Cash program.  Maybe it was wrong, maybe it was dated.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle