collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 127
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Pit error didn’t cost victory - Whitmarsh  (Read 1389 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Pit error didn’t cost victory - Whitmarsh
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »

All of us who watched the race will find Martins view that the botched stop did not cost the race odd and very hard to swallow, but the amazing thing about this incident and the post race comments is Lewis' own handling of the situation.

We all remember Rubens remarkable outburst about his team earlier in the season, without cause as it turns out, so how much better to have Lewis state clearly for the record "we win together and we lose together".

He has obviously learned from the terrible press earlier in the season and now sounds and acts like a real team leader and a true champion. I just wonder how Rubens could have coped if it was Brawn who wrecked the stop?

A pit stop blunder cost Lewis Hamilton victory at the European Grand Prix, as Rubens Barrichello secured his first win in five years with a strong drive.

Brawn's veteran Barrichello, who overtakes Mark Webber to be second in the drivers' championship, was on top form on the Spanish street track, having started from third and jumping Heikki Kovalainen through the first stops. Barrichello was then endangering Hamilton's lead until the McLaren driver pitted only to discover his crew, who took nearly 14 seconds to service the reigning world champion, was not ready with tyres.

Speaking afterwards with the BBC, team boss Martin Whitmarsh defended the error. "We had to make a late call, it was an operational error (but it) didn't cost us victory; we didn't have the race pace."

Hamilton was visibly disappointed but refused to hit out at his McLaren colleagues. "These things happen," said the Hungarian Grand Prix winner.

"I've had so many races with this team and this has very rarely happened. They deserve a pat on the back and, regardless, we need to catch these guys (Brawn) up because there are genuinely a bit quicker than us."

E.A. © CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

FW14B

Re: Pit error didn’t cost victory - Whitmarsh
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 04:59:32 PM »
Hamilton seems to be coming across a lot more maturely recently, both on the track with his racing and also in regards to his PR... He seems easier to like, which is a good thing.  

Didn't buy anything Whitmarsh said though about the eventual result of the race.  This was a real error that wrecked the race.  Shame though for McLaren

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »
I haven't seem Mclaren pull a 'Ferrari' (sorry David, but they've got a bit of a rep, ya know) in ages.  Like you say John, I can't imagine what Rubens response would have been in the same situation.  I was happy to see Lewis rose above the rest, but I noticed his Dad seemed pretty p*ssed about it (I wonder if they asked him for a comment after the race, or if he still has a gag order).

Whitmarsh is out of his mind if he really thinks it didn't tank Hamilton's race.  First of all they ship a car to Spain that they expect to race with one wing (haven't heard of THAT one before), which blows almost an hour practice for Lewis, then during the race they ask him to rev it down a bit to keep the temperature in the safe zone (which looks like it would have lasted anyhow since he was just pounding it around in the last stint).  If they are going to ask him to coast, maybe they should remind the pit crew that they can't. 

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »
While I was listening to Whitmarsh say that on the BBC, all I could think of was PeeWee Herman's old "I meant to do that" catch phrase. I think that might have been an effort on his part not to place blame on the pit crew. I'm sure they feel bad enough as it is. Best to keep any negative comments in-house.

I agree about Hamilton. He handled himself well. I can only imagine what Barrichello's reaction would have been if he'd have been in Lewis's place.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 06:03:46 PM »
Funny how most of our opinions have changed about
Ruebens.I'd rather have seen Kimi win it or Rosberg
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
While I was listening to Whitmarsh say that on the BBC, all I could think of was PeeWee Herman's old "I meant to do that" catch phrase. I think that might have been an effort on his part not to place blame on the pit crew. I'm sure they feel bad enough as it is. Best to keep any negative comments in-house.

I agree about Hamilton. He handled himself well. I can only imagine what Barrichello's reaction would have been if he'd have been in Lewis's place.

I agree, no need to toss the guys to the wolves.

Rubens opened almost 7 seconds between them, which is enough to say an extra 5 seconds on the pit stop didn't lose the race.

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 07:16:51 PM »
Except it's not sure that he could have passed him during his own stop.  He was still 4+ seconds behind Lewis - i.e. he very likely would have had to pass Lewis on the track...which we know would never have happened.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 08:24:08 PM »
Yeah, I think Rubens would have struggled to have gotten into the lead on merit due to Hamilton's pace without the pitstop error.  He would have found it very hard to get past him on the track due to the near impossibile task of overtaking in Valencia.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 07:41:44 AM »
Hamilton seems to be coming across a lot more maturely recently, both on the track with his racing and also in regards to his PR... He seems easier to like, which is a good thing.  

Didn't buy anything Whitmarsh said though about the eventual result of the race.  This was a real error that wrecked the race.  Shame though for McLaren

thanks for this 'right on the money' comment, mate  :good:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »
Except it's not sure that he could have passed him during his own stop.  He was still 4+ seconds behind Lewis - i.e. he very likely would have had to pass Lewis on the track...which we know would never have happened.

Oh, that's true.  Just in terms of not calling someone out on international TV, the cushion Rubens built up is convenient.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 12:24:52 PM »
For some reason I don't believe Martin on this one...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 01:39:47 PM »
For some reason I don't believe Martin on this one...

Do you think Witmarsh should announce whose fault it is was?

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 01:52:36 PM »
It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard Whitmarsh say (and he often says stupid things).
He may have thought he was protecting his team but then he seriously underestimated his driver. Hamilton would have been in front of Rubens if it wasn't for the fluffed pit-stop and Hamilton, when in front, can get even a bad car to go fast enough to stop anyone overtaking him on a track like Valencia.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle