collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 104
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16181 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13025 Posts
John S John S
11298 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General F1 Discussion / Re: cost of Perez's shunt
« Last post by John S on Today at 07:49:50 PM »
Just had a thought, Max has been really unhappy with his car, so do they build the new one for him and give Perez his old one?

1) Perez has good lawyers
2) They have diametrically opposite driving styles
3) Perez is likely to be unhappier with Verstappen's cast-offs than his own, given they're the same basic spec
4) Perez isn't complaining about his car, but other factors (such as his luck, traffic and not always making the best of his opportunities)

Oh you forgot to mention Numero Cinco, Alia.  :D

5) Perez is not on same level of performance to Max so can't handle his cast offs.  :DD
Other Sports / Re: NASCAR Stewart-Haas racing to close.
« Last post by lkjohnson1950 on May 30, 2024, 08:21:09 PM »
I think that's a lot of it. Plus NASCAR isn't the series he entered so many years ago now. He's had a lot of disagreements with the France family over the last few years.
General F1 Discussion / Re: Monaco 2024
« Last post by lkjohnson1950 on May 30, 2024, 08:14:23 PM »
Alia always has the goods. Thanks. :good: :good: :good:
General F1 Discussion / Re: Sainz to Williams
« Last post by Dare on May 30, 2024, 07:55:39 PM »
With Briatore in talks with Newey about a return to Alpine i'd try and get that Alpine drive. If they get Newey
Pit Pass / Re: F1 rain cover mudguards a no go from FIA findings
« Last post by Alianora La Canta on May 30, 2024, 06:35:51 PM »
It makes sense - the kickback is lateral not transverse, and mudguards are mostly to reduce transverse spray. Someone had to try it, though, or the naysayers would have been saying to try them all day.
General F1 Discussion / Re: Sainz to Williams
« Last post by Alianora La Canta on May 30, 2024, 06:34:36 PM »
I'm not sure Audi's on the table for Sainz any more.

The logical seat at Audi for him was the one Hulkenberg is going to take from 2025. That's the experienced seat where people with knowledge of how successful teams work and how to uphold corporate honour at marketing events needed to be. Sainz could have done all that. However, he spent so long telling everyone his position was strong that Audi stopped waiting. I suspect but cannot prove they also took a lower bid.

Yes, Sainz could fight for the other Audi seat. However, he's not just fighting with experienced drivers for it, but also Zhou, Sargeant, whoever comes off worst in the Alpine intra-team tussle (maybe both if the management doesn't improve), whoever wins the F2 championship… He won't get a good contract, and may not be meaningfully in the frame at all.

At this point, I think Carlos' F1 options are, in order of how good his chances are if pursuing them (lowest to highest):

- the second Mercedes (if Antonelli has a mid-season downturn in form and doesn't qualify for a Superlicence, and Verstappen stays away)
- Red Bull (if Horner wins the management tussle there and Verstappen quits for Mercedes or Audi)
- Williams (if Albon gets a promotion)
- Alpine (a seat is probably there if he wants an easy excuse for any underperformances, although a precedent of not following orders he thinks are ridiculous means this isn't a certain seat either. Alpine has two drivers who can do that already!)
- Haas (probably his safest option as he'd fit right in, would be a performance upgrade on both current drivers and has some experience in tutoring likely team-mate Ollie Bearman. Also his slowest option bar Alpine).

I think Ferrari, McLaren, RB, Audi and Aston Martin are closed to Carlos for various reasons.
Other Sports / Re: NASCAR Stewart-Haas racing to close.
« Last post by cosworth151 on May 30, 2024, 06:25:09 PM »
You just beat me to it, Lonnie.

I wonder if this  closing is because of Gene or Tony Stewart. For a while now, his website has been about his NHRA drag racing team & Eldora Speedway. Maybe he's just moved on from NASCAR.
General F1 Discussion / Re: cost of Perez's shunt
« Last post by Alianora La Canta on May 30, 2024, 06:21:49 PM »
Just had a thought, Max has been really unhappy with his car, so do they build the new one for him and give Perez his old one?

1) Perez has good lawyers
2) They have diametrically opposite driving styles
3) Perez is likely to be unhappier with Verstappen's cast-offs than his own, given they're the same basic spec
4) Perez isn't complaining about his car, but other factors (such as his luck, traffic and not always making the best of his opportunities)
General F1 Discussion / Re: Monaco 2024
« Last post by Alianora La Canta on May 30, 2024, 06:19:46 PM »
Huge congratulations to Leclerc for finally getting the top step.
The 1st local boy to win in 93 years.

I have just about landed back on Earth after that one. Admittedly, even Charles' biggest fans aren't going to call the race a classic, but it didn't feel like that was the point of the weekend. It felt like everything coalesced on whether this particular driver was going to get his coronation or, if more cynical, wonder how it was going to fail this time. Without investment into that storyline, the racing was decided by a combination of locked mainline strategy and teams mostly not considering alternatives even when there was little to lose from them.

I am a tad confused by why Sainz was allowed to retake 3rd on the restart when he went off on the 1st lap before the red flag. The off happened during a race lap not a safety car so he should have been back in 16th or thereabouts.

You can thank a quirk in the regulations where the grid is taken from the last full sector everyone crossed (mini-sectors aren't used because they're too small to accurately reflect order). Sector 1 was the place from which most of us were expecting the order to be taken. Had that been done, Carlos would have been 16th because that was the position in which he crossed Sector 1, and he did it before the red flag. However, there were 17 runners at that point. Zhou Guanyu had been behind the Haas/Perez collision. He'd carefully stopped his car just before the outer edge of the debris, then tiptoed his way through. He too so long that he didn't cross the line ending Sector 1 until after the red flag was flown. As a result, Zhou was classified as the 17th runner and his last complete sector… was the start line. So everyone started from grid order.

Monaco has always been a rather boring procession but it has such history that it is still a must watch race.

Of course, it doesn't help when the driver who did the most overtakes in 2 of the last 4 events in Monaco led every metre of the race and thus could not add to the tally.

I have not heard at this point, but imagine Magnusson will be getting a race ban now after causing the red flag event.

You won't hear, because the stewards didn't even note the event. They thought it was that obvious that Perez was also a significant contributor to the crash. (I don't agree, but the stewards have held their line on worse, and they were probably more concerned about the injured photographer than the drivers who penalised themselves).
Other Sports / NASCAR Stewart-Haas racing to close.
« Last post by lkjohnson1950 on May 30, 2024, 06:03:09 PM »
The team made the official announcement that 2024 would be their last year of competition. If you don't follow NASCAR this is roughly the equivalent of Williams closing down. Don't know if this will in any way affect the Haas F1 team.

https://www.racingjunk.com/news/stewart-haas-racing-to-close-at-end-of-2024-season/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=RJnewsletter_05_30_24
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle