collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 132
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Symonds to Williams, Pat Fry to Red Bull?  (Read 1966 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Symonds to Williams, Pat Fry to Red Bull?
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:47:23 PM »

If this report is correct I'm sure Frank and Patrick could do with the help at Williams from the ex Renault man, but as to Pat Fry joining Adrian at RBR can't see it somehow. In fact I can't see any of the teams mentioned needing Fry in a senior position.

Pat Symonds could soon be working with the famous British team Williams. The authoritative Italian magazine Autosprint is linking Renault's former long-time executive director of engineering with the Grove based team.

With his five-year crashgate ban reduced to three years in a recent deal with the FIA, 56-year-old Briton Symonds said recently that his company Neutrino Dynamics could be engaged immediately for F1 consultancy work.

Autosprint said Symonds could be a consultant for the design of Williams' FW33 car for 2011.

Meanwhile, McLaren's recently departed chief engineer Pat Fry is also being linked with other formula one teams.

He has just begun a compulsory six months of so-called 'gardening leave', but Finland's Turun Sanomat is already linking him with possible moves to Red Bull, Mercedes, Toro Rosso or Force India.

Updatef1.com, May 19

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Williamsfan

Re: Symonds to Williams, Pat Fry to Red Bull?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:39:54 AM »
Frankly I am really excited about the potential of Pat consulting Williams ahead of a permanent deal when his ban is finished.  He would be just what the team needs and I would be thrilled to have him on board, despite his recent 'issues'.  As for Pat Fry, I really would not be surprised to see him end up at Williams also, as like John says, I cannot see a place for him in a 'bigger' team.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »
I'm sure I had said this would be a great idea somewhere before, Williams would jump at the chance to get Symonds, just what Williams needs.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »
What about Sam Michael?  Do you think they will ease him out the door?  I can't imagine someone with Pat's experience should have to answer to Michael for very long...  :DntKnw: :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 12:06:32 PM »

A thought has just struck me, this linking of Pat Symonds to Williams comes a few days after the rumours of a possible return of Renault engines to Williams. Who is better equipped than Mr Symonds to harness Renault power to a new Williams chassis with all his years with the French engine maker.

On the subject of Sam Michael coping with another Pat I'm quite sure he has become adept at working alongside the explosive and forceful Mr Head, so another pushy, but knowledgeable, collaborator should not be a problem. In fact Sam could do worse than understudy Symonds as both Pat's are now getting a bit long in the tooth and wont want to keep up the punishing schedule of a the full GP season forever.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Williamsfan

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »
I think Sam is out of his depth at the moment and the problems the team have faced with their cars lately shows that.  Of course a lack of resources has not helped him.  Having Symonds can only be a good thing for him and the team.

Agree John about him being well placed for any potential deal with Renault for engines.  Dare I say it, I am almost excited!

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 12:44:23 PM »
On the subject of Sam Michael coping with another Pat I'm quite sure he has become adept at working alongside the explosive and forceful Mr Head, so another pushy, but knowledgeable, collaborator should not be a problem. In fact Sam could do worse than understudy Symonds as both Pat's are now getting a bit long in the tooth and wont want to keep up the punishing schedule of a the full GP season forever.

But Sam Michaels is Technical Director of the team...once Pat comes on full-time, I expect Sam will have to take a back seat to him, and I wonder if he will accept that or not.  I guess Michael wants to remain a long term Williams employee, but it might be too much for him.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

David

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 09:07:54 PM »
The possibility of Renault engines and Pat Symonds at Williams has to be exiting.  :yahoo:

I know somebody on here might have had a wee tingle at the thought. By reading that certain persons posts they might be playing that excitement down?  ;)

Hell I'm a Ferrari fan and I'm over the moon that it's even a rumour.

Williamsfan

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »
So, who you talking about then David  :DD

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 12:43:04 AM »
Uh, is it just me or does Renault seem to be doing better without Symonds? Kubica seems very happy so far, and at least they have not lost ground to the big 3. :DntKnw:

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:50:30 AM »
The question is whether it's Pat, Flavio, the hands-off attitude from Renault HQ, the Alonso-Piquet Jr./Grosjean pairing or a combination of the above that was holding Renault back?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Williamsfan

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Interesting comments, but Symonds was also at Renault as technical director when the team won their two most recent WDC and Driver's Championships in 2005 and 2006.  No one complained about the team then!  A lot of stuff happened since, Alonso left and returned, Fisi left, Michelin left, engine restrictions etc.  I imagine a lot of what is good with this year's car might well have been designed under Symonds before the whole 'crashgate' saga forced his departure. 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »
It shows that it takes a team to be competitive, and you never know what little piece will make it all come good.

Lonny
Lonny

Williamsfan

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 08:06:58 PM »
I'm hoping that little piece might be called 'Pat Symonds' for Williams  :good:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle