collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 557
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Top Gear on Hold  (Read 29980 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Lonny

Offline Wizzo

Re: Top Gear on Hold
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 09:17:18 AM »
Typical! I had tickets for the next show and now all shows are cancelled for the foreseeable future. Grrrrrr Jeremy!!  >:D

Is JC bigger than the BBC? Top Gear now earns the BBC over £300 million a year! Can they afford to get rid of him?
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 11:12:51 AM »
I'm no fan of Clarkson, but come on! Putting the whole show on hold just because he took a poke at some? Really? Over react much?  :DntKnw:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:30:52 AM »
I'm no fan of Clarkson, but come on! Putting the whole show on hold just because he took a poke at some? Really? Over react much?  :DntKnw:

Totally agree.  By suspending the show because of Clarkson simply says that Clarkson IS Top Gear.  Stupidest move the BBC could have made.  Better to borrow a 3rd presenter (Jake Humphrey, Coulthard or even Eddie Jordan would have been a substitute for Clarkson for a show or two).   :fool: :fool: :fool:

Sorry to hear about your useless tickets Wizzo...  :(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 01:35:43 PM »
Reminds me of the Charlie Sheen fiasco a bit.

I just think Top Gear could survive with just
about any other host,Clarke always seemed
a bit pompous to me.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »
Gutted or what, Top Gear is the only programme I look forward to. The BBC hate him because he's not a leftie liberal like they are.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 11:21:56 AM »
Many of us don't like him because he's a arrogant horse's arse. I like Scott's idea of EJ. he could be just as colorful & opinionated without the bluster & bigotry. It would make for a much better program.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »
I guess they consider him to be the star attraction, Britain's Channel 5 is rumored to have offered him 10 million pounds to start a rival program for them.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »
I've watched the British Top Gear a few times (never the American version).  I enjoy the show, but don't find it as informative as any of the shows I watched on SpeedVision, or Motoring on TSN.

When Jeremy Clarkson slammed the Ford F150 Lightning, I realized that his opinion on automotive issues was worthless.  If it turns out he's a thug, I'm sure the show would do just fine without him.  In Canada and the USA there's a movement afoot to ensure that these 'famous people' are held to the same standards as anyone else. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »
Top Gear couldn't survive with only May and Hammond, but Clarkson isn't irreplaceable in my opinion. 

That said, the US version makes my stomach queazy when I watch those three do their poor attempt at copying the British version.

My God...I just read it was because Clarkson didn't get hot food after a taping.  Cold buffet and soup wasn't enough for the Diva.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:09:39 PM by Scott »

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
A lot of people miss the point on Top Gear, it's tongue in cheek, it's entertainment, three guys who really gel, add in the antics on track and the 15yo boy humour, it's great.This gives me yet another reason to hate the pantie hosed, leftie liberal BBC for shelving it.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 04:58:59 PM »
A lot of people miss the point on Top Gear, it's tongue in cheek, it's entertainment, three guys who really gel, add in the antics on track and the 15yo boy humour, it's great.This gives me yet another reason to hate the pantie hosed, leftie liberal BBC for shelving it.

It's possible I missed the point, but SpeedVision did a great job of being tongue in cheek while being informative with their shows.

However, if the target audience is 15 yo boys, then I suppose my contribution here has ended.

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 05:06:11 PM »
I don't know.  I get that it's tongue in cheek, but not so sure the 3 guys really gel.  I think May and Hammond get bullied by Clarkson most of the time (I know, they're actually paid to be the butt of his jokes), and no doubt he demands double what they both get combined.  I just don't think the whole show is Clarkson, and I hope you don't want the BBC pandering to his every whim (Hot food, really?  No decent restaurants on his way home?). 

I'm glad the BBC is leftie Liberal because from what I've seen of some of the the Rightie Tighty TV networks in the US, well, like the saying goes, Righty Tighty - Lefty Loosie...loosen up a bit.  ;) ;)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 05:23:52 PM »
Maybe Clarkson could do a show with Bill O'Rielly & Keith Olbermann called, "No, I'm the World's Foremost Authority on Everything!"
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 06:29:47 PM »
Maybe Clarkson could do a show with Bill O'Rielly & Keith Olbermann called, "No, I'm the World's Foremost Authority on Everything!"
You forgot Rush...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle