collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 603
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams opposes Schumacher's test  (Read 3175 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Williams opposes Schumacher's test
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:03:55 PM »

Well Williams clearly distrust Ferrari's motives, unless of course they have totally lost their well documented sense of fair play.

I like Williams mischevious reference to using the test driver, they certainly couldn't afford a Schumacher so would there be any other choice for them.? :P

By Edd Straw and Pablo Today, autosport.com

The Williams team has opposed Ferrari's request to allow Michael Schumacher to test ahead of his return to Formula 1 at the European Grand Prix, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Ferrari had asked all current teams, as well as the FIA, to allow Schumacher to have a one-day test with this year's F60 car to familiarise himself with the machine.

Schumacher drove a two-year-old F2007 fitted with GP2 tyres at the Mugello circuit last week, the German having not driven F1 machinery since last year.

The seven-time champion, replacing the injured Felipe Massa in the Valencia race later this month, retired from F1 competition at the end of 2006.

Williams said it is opposing Ferrari's request because it clearly contravenes the regulations, which state testing is not allowed during the season.

"While we welcome Michael Schumacher back to Formula 1, the fact is that any form of in-season circuit testing is strictly prohibited; a regulation clearly laid out by the FIA and adhered to by all of the teams," said team boss Frank Williams.

"It was for this reason that Alguersuari, who drove an F1 car for the very first time in Hungary, did not have the opportunity to familiarise himself with the Toro Rosso before he made his race debut.

"Williams sees no distinction between Alguersuari's situation and Schumacher's and feels that any deviation from the rule would create a precedent for the future.

"In a similar situation, Williams would unhesitatingly use its current test driver. For the sake of consistency and fairness, therefore, we oppose Ferrari's proposal to test ahead of the European Grand Prix."

Ferrari needed the unanimous approval of all teams to get Schumacher to test, which means the German will not be able to try the F60 before the Valencia event.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

FW14B

Re: Williams opposes Schumacher's test
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:26:08 PM »
We're not the only ones though  :yahoo:  The two Red Bull teams also rejected the request on the grounds of not being able to test Alguersari.  

From autosport.com
Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso have joined Williams in opposing Ferrari's request to allow Michael Schumacher to test a 2009-specification ahead of his return to Formula 1 at Valencia later in the month.

The Red Bull teams are unwilling to cede to the request after Dietrich Mateschitz claimed that a similar one by Toro Rosso to give 19-year-old rookie Jaime Alguersuari some track time prior to his F1 debut in Hungary was refused.

"We asked for a test permission for Alguersuari before the Hungarian GP and it was turned down," said Mateschitz. "So why should we approve an exemption for a seven-time-champion after this?

"We are happy that Jaime did such an excellent job on his debut."

Red Bull's motorsport coordinator Helmut Marko told the Salzburger Nachrichten newspaper that he believed Michael Schumacher would have little trouble adapting to contemporary Formula 1 machinery and therefore did not need to test.

"Schumacher is experienced enough to be fairly competitive in the new car very soon," said Marko.

"To let him do an extra test is not in the spirit of the regulations. If he indeed did his run last week on GP2 rubber it will make a huge difference".

"We have the same opinion as stated in the rules, therefore we cannot agree with Michael getting a test exemption", added Marko. "And we are not the only ones to have this opinion."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:28:21 PM by Williamsfan »

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:17:57 PM »
I thought we were already talking about this somewhere, but I can't find it.  I completely agree with Williams, and for the same reason.  I'm glad he's throwing a wrench in the works.  I still think MS will do well, if not fantastic, even with just three practices and Qualifying.

Can't wait for the race!!

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

david1275

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:28:24 PM »
http://www.gpwizard.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9024.0

We were discussing this Scotty on a thread started by yourself.

I too am glad that a spanner has been thrown in the works, and that MS will not get to test the F60 before Valencia practice. If a concession to the rules had been made for him where it wasn't made for Jamie and Torro Rosso then he would be wide open to criticism. Rules are rules and they should be adhered to by everybody, in sport at least. ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:01:29 PM by david1275 »

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:56:33 PM »
I don't think it's going to make much difference,at least when
MS wins the other teams can't cry foul over the disallowed
testing.

If ever I want to see a Friday practice this is it.It's really
rejuvenated my feeling for F1 :D
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:21:56 AM »

RED BULL has also joined in the protest.

MS does not need to test as he is no rookie and he will shake a few opinions up too.

Like he left as he was 'scared' of KR.

I hope he will leave his 'dark side' and 'dirty tricks' behind
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 01:38:58 PM »
Welcome back Michael, Kimi sends his regrets that he cannot meet you yet as he has not yet been able to get off of the toilet.  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

FW14B

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 02:36:19 PM »
Ferrari hit back... These comments make me laugh.

From Autosport.com

The Ferrari team has hit out at rival Williams over its decision to not allow Michael Schumacher to test this year's car ahead of his return to action at the European Grand Prix.

Ferrari asked all Formula 1 teams for permission to have a one-day test for Schumacher ahead of the Valencia race, where the German will replace the injured Felipe Massa.

On Tuesday, Ferrari hit out at Williams, saying the team had demonstrated a lack of spirit of fair play.

The Italian squad also referred to Williams as "a team that hasn't won anything for years."

Ferrari also revealed it had given Toro Rosso its approval to test rookie Jamie Alguersuari ahead of his debut in Hungary.

"Guess who opposed the test with the F60? A team that hasn't won anything for years and yet didn't pass over the opportunity to demonstrate once more a lack of spirit of fair play," Ferrari wrote in its official website under a news piece titled 'Indiscretion'.

"Just for the record, the Scuderia Ferrari had given its approval to let Alguersuari test, but it seems even in this instance someone decided to stick to the precise wording of the regulations."

Team boss Frank Williams said on Monday that he welcomed Schumacher back in F1, but that his team would not allow him to test.

"While we welcome Michael Schumacher back to Formula 1, the fact is that any form of in-season circuit testing is strictly prohibited; a regulation clearly laid out by the FIA and adhered to by all of the teams," Williams said.

"It was for this reason that Alguersuari, who drove an F1 car for the very first time in Hungary, did not have the opportunity to familiarise himself with the Toro Rosso before he made his race debut.

"Williams sees no distinction between Alguersuari's situation and Schumacher's and feels that any deviation from the rule would create a precedent for the future.

"In a similar situation, Williams would unhesitatingly use its current test driver. For the sake of consistency and fairness, therefore, we oppose Ferrari's proposal to test ahead of the European Grand Prix."

Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz also said yesterday that his teams were opposing the test.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 07:17:46 PM »
In a year where so much haggling over details has consumed the news in F1, it shouldn't be a surprise that some teams want Ferrari to stick to the letter of the law.  The testing ban seems to be one of the few things that are clear!

I think there is something to be said to amend the no testing rule for allowing the replacement of injured drivers.  STR chose to put Jaime in a car untested.  Ferrari certainly didn't choose for Massa to have his accident!

The teams need to agree on what would be fair.  It will be very hard for Ferrari not to 'test'... surely the car will need to be tuned and setup for MS, and how to do that without testing!?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 07:42:18 PM »

I couldn't have put it better myself Jeri, the STR and Ferrari situations are quite different because one is a choice and the other is a reaction to circumstances beyond their control.

Regulations should always have a contingency, that is clear to all parties, for circumstances that place competitors in a detrimental situation due to unavoidable actions beyond the normal rules and outside their own control. Surely someone at the FIA must have realised a driver may be put out of action due to an accident, so what is the official line?  :DntKnw:

Online cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 07:56:56 PM »
Williams and Red Bull may also be looking forward to Gosjean or who ever gets the #2 seat at Renault. They couldn't very well let Schumi test and not the new Renault driver.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 07:59:08 PM »
Ferrari chose to use MS instead of one of their test drivers, who have experience with the car.  STR couldn't afford him.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 09:43:34 PM »
Ferrari chose to use MS instead of one of their test drivers, who have experience with the car.  STR couldn't afford him.

Even the test drivers will not have been in the car for months as there is no in season testing. I still maintain there has to be a distinction drawn between the teams who elect to swap their drivers and those who have a driver change forced upon them by accident.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 09:47:37 PM »

Even the test drivers will not have been in the car for months as there is no in season testing. I still maintain there has to be a distinction drawn between the teams who elect to swap their drivers and those who have a driver
change forced upon them by accident.

I don't.  Then you get into grey areas, like when Montoya had his tennis...oops, I mean dirt bike accident.  Which rule then?

Online Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 01:00:02 AM »

Even the test drivers will not have been in the car for months as there is no in season testing. I still maintain there has to be a distinction drawn between the teams who elect to swap their drivers and those who have a driver
change forced upon them by accident.

I don't.  Then you get into grey areas, like when Montoya had his tennis...oops, I mean dirt bike accident.  Which rule then?

I think a fairly clear line would be anyone involved in an on track accident.  Otherwise, you're right, Piquet would be pushed fall down the stairs.

The current rules prohibit the test.  I don't blame Ferrari for asking, and, to be honest, I'd be okay with it.  At the same time, the objecting teams see this as a Pandora's box, which is certainly fair.  Hopefully Ferrari drops it, and FOTA can come to some sort of agreement when it's not a pressing issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle